Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used these mufflers in a dual setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone used these mufflers in a dual setup?

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...6&autoview=sku
If so What did you think?
Will this work, If so This will be my first dual setup, What all do I need from headers back. I dont want to dump them.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes those will work. Check out my picture for running them out the back. You can also go over the axle.....but it costs more and is a little harder. I have plenty of clearance. Those mufflers are LOUD but they will sound really good.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Yes those will work. Check out my picture for running them out the back. You can also go over the axle.....but it costs more and is a little harder. I have plenty of clearance. Those mufflers are LOUD but they will sound really good.

Nice setup, What am I going to need from the headers to the mufflers? Have any links...Thanks.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll need pipe....I went mandrel bent to the mufflers and crush bent behind. You'll need a crossover pipe (H or X-pipe). This is not mandatory but helps scavenge exhaust and equalizes the pressure. An H-pipe generally sounds better and a X-pipe supposedly generates more power (although this has been disproved via a dyno graph from a Mustang GT that was floating around this site somewhere). You'll also need tips. I guess you are going to have this made at a reputable shop? If so, they should have everything you need with the exception of the crossover and tips (depending on what kind you want). Search for crossover pipe manufacturers. (Dr. Gas X, Flowmaster H, etc.) You'll also need to decide if you want 2.5" (good for at least 600 bhp) or 3" exhaust. Opinions vary, but 2.5" is more than sufficient for most people's needs.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder what one of those larger single chamber single in/dual out would sound in place of the stock muffler. Would probably flow a lot better than the 80 series catback. Would just need one of the pipes bent weird kinda like in the gmmg setup.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
I wonder what one of those larger single chamber single in/dual out would sound in place of the stock muffler. Would probably flow a lot better than the 80 series catback. Would just need one of the pipes bent weird kinda like in the gmmg setup.
On my 98 T/A back in the day I did something similar when I cut off the 80 series I had installed. I used a single 3" in/out 2-chamber that I had laying around and put a y-pipe on the outlet and ran the pipes like the gmmg. It sounded pretty decent. Definately louder than the 80 series was.