Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with long tubes.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with long tubes.....

Ok, I want to get SLP long Tube headers. I was going to buy the kit from lmperformance.com but I dont wan tthe catalytic converters. What do i need to buy (Y Pipe, o2 sensors, etc.) to set up slp long tubes without catalytic converters and what do i need to do to teh car after i install them to make it work correctly. Thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 12:28 AM
11 Second Club

If your car is lowered( looks like it is) you would be making a big mistake in buying the SLP headers....they hang way to low and will drag on anything and everything...speed bumps, curbs, dyno's, flatbed, etc.etc. I originally had them and now have Hooker headers...the SLP's hung a pipe and a half lower than the Hooker's do. Good luck if you choose SLP .
Old 02-09-2006, 12:44 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLP headers are going to be nothing but problems for you. They were great before other people got into the game, now they are obsolete and only making money off of people who don't know any better.

Check out Pacesetter headers ( -------> TSP ) for a great deal on a great header. For the price, these headers are just like sore dicks........you just can't beat 'em.

If you're a baller, go with stainless. QTP (my favorite), Kooks, Stainless Works are some of the brands.

You can buy any of these with an ORY (off-road y-pipe) which is just lingo for no cats. You will need 2 24" O2 extensions so your stock wiring harness on each side will reach the new locations where the O2 sensors are plugged in at. You will also need to either 1) have the rear O2 sensor codes deleted to prevent service engine soon light, or 2) buy O2 sims to plug into the rear O2 harness to fool the computer into thinking you have working cats.

The best choice is 1). O2 sims have been known to throw the SES light anyway, computer tuning eliminates it, and usually is less expensive than O2 sims. You will have to find a sponser close to you to do the tuning, or mail in your PCM somewhere and have it done. I would also suggest having the codes for AIR and EGR deleted at the same time. It will not affect the performance, but it will let you junk some of that **** if you wish to do so.

I would also look into the "race" headers and get rid of the aforementioned BS.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
SLP headers are going to be nothing but problems for you. They were great before other people got into the game, now they are obsolete and only making money off of people who don't know any better.

Check out Pacesetter headers ( -------> TSP ) for a great deal on a great header. For the price, these headers are just like sore dicks........you just can't beat 'em.
If you're a baller, go with stainless. QTP (my favorite), Kooks, Stainless Works are some of the brands.

You can buy any of these with an ORY (off-road y-pipe) which is just lingo for no cats. You will need 2 24" O2 extensions so your stock wiring harness on each side will reach the new locations where the O2 sensors are plugged in at. You will also need to either 1) have the rear O2 sensor codes deleted to prevent service engine soon light, or 2) buy O2 sims to plug into the rear O2 harness to fool the computer into thinking you have working cats.

The best choice is 1). O2 sims have been known to throw the SES light anyway, computer tuning eliminates it, and usually is less expensive than O2 sims. You will have to find a sponser close to you to do the tuning, or mail in your PCM somewhere and have it done. I would also suggest having the codes for AIR and EGR deleted at the same time. It will not affect the performance, but it will let you junk some of that **** if you wish to do so.

Hillarious.....and couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 02-09-2006, 03:42 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Listen to the guys! for the price of SLP's you can get some QTP stainless....
Old 02-09-2006, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

Dont even bother with the SLP's. Definatley go for the Kooks or QTP's if you are going to spend that much on headers.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

+ 1
Old 02-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help..