Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header install question

am installing pacesetter headers and i got the old exhaust off but know am trying to get the tsp y pipe to fit on the headers and it will not fit. I want to know if anybody ever had this problem and what they did to fix it. I am thinking either grinding down the coating on the headers or get a pipe expander and extend the y pipe alittle. If any body has any better answers i would greatly apreciate it.

2001 ws6 a4 (slp lid , slp bellow, crane tuner, magnaflo catback, BGRA, pacesetter headers, tsp offroad y pipe, asp pulley )
Old 02-13-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check your collectors and y-pipe for roundness, My Kooks Y was out of round a little bit so I just put it in a vice and adjusted it until it fit on the collectors.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

i had the same problem, with my pace and tsp y. i used a rubber malet, a large oil band wrench. i would used the band to move the y where i needed it and use the malet to beat it in.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't completely tighten the headers so you have some wiggle room.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, I had the same problem. I used a pipe expander on my connections. I rented one from Autozone.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Teching In

well i went and got a pipe expander and it did nothing for me so i had to go borrow some air tools and a sander pad and sanded the header coating down. After about 40 mins the headers finally fit on the y pipe.Tommorow their goin in the car because am on grave shift and its about nap time so thanks for the info

2001 ws6 a-4 (slp lid, slp bellow, crane tuner, magnaflo catback, BGRA, pacesetter headers, tsp ofroad y, asp pulley, slp strut brace)
Old 02-14-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem. I did combination of sanding on the header coating and expanding the tsp y-pipe. One quick thing that I also did that also helped was to buy a pair of pliers meant to remove oil filters...they were great for twisting the y pipe pieces into position so that they fit best and gave the most clearance. You may want to also consider doing the prothane poly motor mounts while you have things apart so that you don't have to worry about the y pipe banging the floor on the drivers side.