Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new exhaust

this summer i plan on replacing my whole exhaust system.right now i'm all stock with a flowmaster cat back. i lowered my car 2 inches with the eibach sportlines, so i'm not sure how i'll do on clearence with the new exhaust. i plan on putting on a set of lt's hooked up to td's dumped before the axle, oh it will also be catted. i'm not sure if i should do the true duals or go with a new y pipe, or use mid length headers instead of long tubes.
i searched but didn't really find the answers i was looking for.
so if you have alowered car with an aftermarket exhaust please leave some info. thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the sportlines you may want to go with mac's, im only lowered an 1in any my I pipe and cutout scrape know and then. I'm sure if i went with long tubes i would hit. Which is why im going with mid length.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not the headers that give clearance problems, it's the y-pipe in most cases....especially if you have cats. I had macs/ory on my car before my current setup. I have more ground clearance now around the headers with the pacesetters than the same area with macs/ory because the y-pipe hung low on the driver's side. If you plan on doing a true dual setup, you're going to need to have it custom made since you're so low. I'm lowered about 1.75" from stock and I made my own duals to get better clearance, and you're probably going to have to stick w/2.5" pipes like I did. Once you hear it, all the hard work tucking and tweaking things pays off!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

From a peroformance stand point a good catback and Y pipe is fine for a bolt on cammed LS1. If you plan on more power then a 3.5-4" Y or a 2.5" dual setup can be of benefit, but a regular 3" Y pipe setup will still work with only minor loss at HIGH bhp level (read 500+).

Sound wise, duals do sound good. But then again a Y pipe doesn't sound bad so it's all personal preferance at the end of the day.

But if you put style (personal opinion on style) by having the car so low over performance then it may limit your choice some what.

But the choice is yours to make.

Personally I'd go LT's catted Y and a nice catback. And if the car was too low I'd raise to a sensible ground clearance level. These cars really don't want to be slammed even for cornering ability.

But as I said it's your choice
Old 02-15-2006, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool. thanks for the advice.