Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Banging Y pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 06:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Banging Y pipe Question

I just finsihed up the long tune install on my bros 01 z28 Pacesetter longtubes and offroad y pipe. Ive done alot of pacesetter installs and no thhat it is normal for the y pipe to bang. From a dead stomp when u punch it the y pipe bangs and its like the car cuts out then takes off Is this the knock sensors cuting the timing? From a roll its fine
Old 02-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Launching!

i've read some posts of people saying the y banging causes false knock on the sensors. you have get under there and try to adjust your y to stop the banging. some heat up the y and bend it. if you have some real patiance, change the motor mounts to poly and thats another solution.. poly mounts will stop the motor from twisting as much unlike the stock rubber
Old 02-15-2006, 08:00 PM
8 Second Club

im gona get it back on my lift tomorow and adjust it
Old 02-15-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had major banging and then went with a poly driver's side motor mount which almost got rid of it. To finally make it stop I loosened up all the connections and bought a bunch of wooden wedges and really stuck them up between the top of the driver's side Y and the bottom of the car (this is where it was hitting). This pushed the y down a LOT since I hammered as many wedges as I could above the y. Then I tightened the hell out of all the connections and then pulled the wood out...no more banging.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a muffler shop fab an ORY Pipe when I took off my cats. Now, in 1st gear when I floor it...it bangs against the undercarriage of the car, but I don't notice any lag or anything. It only does it in first gear...I've just learn to deal with it (doesn't always do it). Maybe a thick rubber spacer apoxied to the undercarriage will keep the noise down where the Y pipe is hitting. No big deal though.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:17 PM
8 Second Club

dont mind the banging at all. Its like it cuts out/ hesitatest when it hits the floor. when i did the swap i also changed to come tr55s...dont think that matters
Old 02-16-2006, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Small rubber hose 1" x 3" sliced in half and screwed into flooring with couple small screws and no more banging. I know it may sound like a lazy way of doing it but it does work! It was a simple fix in my case FWIW.