Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 series Flow. vs Powerstick...help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 series Flow. vs Powerstick...help me decide!

Well, I was trying to get away with headers, an X-pipe with Cats and duals.....and try to get into CA. But I've heard for me to get my military base stickers in CA, they smog check you
So, unfortunately....I think I'm going to have to stick to the Catback.
Well, what do you guys think.....a 1 chamber Flowmaster "delta force" muffler in the I pipe?
Or...a Powerstick/Stainless Works Chambered muffler in the I pipe?
I'll probably be getting a TSP Rumbler and taking out the Dynomax Bullet, replacing it with either of those.
I just hope I can get something loud and aggressive out of a Catback
Old 02-17-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

The 1 chamber may cause clearance issues where as the chjambered stick will not
Old 02-17-2006, 05:45 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powerstick. Don't put the flowmaster on there....
Old 02-17-2006, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Put the 10 Series Flowmaster!!! Clearance issues??? It's smallest muffler you can buy, you could tuck that thing anywhere. I just got some Pace LT's and plan on doing a single 3" 10 series. I did alot of searching and asking about the single chamber. I only found guys with duals but they said it was flat aweasome sounding. Other people chipped in that had heard that sytem themselves, and said they were gonna trade their dual gmg for the single chamber. PM me if you go with the flowmaster and get it done before I get a chance to.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter34
Put the 10 Series Flowmaster!!! Clearance issues??? It's smallest muffler you can buy, you could tuck that thing anywhere.
Do you actually know what a 10 series and a Powerstick look like????

10 Series Flowmaster with 3" inlet/outlet:

Powerstick 3" inlet/outlet and 3 1/2" body diamter (available in different lengths from 16-26"):

http://www.classicchambered.com/

IMO I'd go for the Powerstick, but you may find that only running one muffler is a tad too loud. The GMMG uses 2 and the Stainless Works Chambered system uses 3 smaller mufflers.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just keep the bullet. It'll give you the best flow since both cylinder banks have to push through it. One of the other guys on here put a Sweet Thunder in his i-pipe and I remember him saying he was going back to a bullet because he could feel the restriction.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:25 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put the 10 Series Flowmaster!!! Clearance issues??? It's smallest muffler you can buy, you could tuck that thing anywhere. I just got some Pace LT's and plan on doing a single 3" 10 series. I did alot of searching and asking about the single chamber. I only found guys with duals but they said it was flat aweasome sounding. Other people chipped in that had heard that sytem themselves, and said they were gonna trade their dual gmg for the single chamber. PM me if you go with the flowmaster and get it done before I get a chance to.
There is nothing better for clearance than something that is the same diameter as the pipe itself.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Do you actually know what a 10 series and a Powerstick look like????

10 Series Flowmaster with 3" inlet/outlet:

Powerstick 3" inlet/outlet and 3 1/2" body diamter (available in different lengths from 16-26"):

http://www.classicchambered.com/

IMO I'd go for the Powerstick, but you may find that only running one muffler is a tad too loud. The GMMG uses 2 and the Stainless Works Chambered system uses 3 smaller mufflers.

Um....that's not a 1 chamber flowmaster.....that's a full size, probably 3 chamber flowmaster. 1 chambers look like this:
Attached Thumbnails 1 series Flow. vs Powerstick...help me decide!-flo.jpg  
Old 02-17-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Um....that's not a 1 chamber flowmaster.....that's a full size, probably 3 chamber flowmaster. 1 chambers look like this:
I dunno I got the pic from Flowmasters website.

I guess it's the internal structure that determines the muffler type. The one you have shown is just a short muffler. It would be fine for locating after the axle but where the dynomax bullett is located in a Rumbler I think the diamter of it would be an issue.

Also a short muffler like that isn't really going to produce much noise supression. Magnaflow also offer short 'race' mufflers, it all depends what your after.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I dunno I got the pic from Flowmasters website.

I guess it's the internal structure that determines the muffler type. The one you have shown is just a short muffler. It would be fine for locating after the axle but where the dynomax bullett is located in a Rumbler I think the diamter of it would be an issue.

Also a short muffler like that isn't really going to produce much noise supression.
The picture I showed is a 1 chamber flowmaster deltaforce race muffler. I have these mufflers on my dumped dual setup. They offer more noise supression than you'd think, given their size. They are quite loud but sound incredible. I do think you'd be hard pressed to fit a single chamber in the stock i-pipe though, so a round bullet type muffler or chambered powerstick would be the best bet.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would like to hear what that sounds like!
Old 02-17-2006, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02Firehawk#614
If you're talkin to me......I'm working on that as we speak. Problem is it's 14 degrees outside right now! I'm gonna to try and get a clip posted tonight, but by this weekend for sure.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Just keep the bullet. It'll give you the best flow since both cylinder banks have to push through it. One of the other guys on here put a Sweet Thunder in his i-pipe and I remember him saying he was going back to a bullet because he could feel the restriction.
There is a HUGE difference between the sweet thunders and the power sticks.
The 2.5-3" sweet thunders inner diameter pipe chokes down to 2 1/4 as to where the power stick is 3" all the way through. So, the power sticks flow well I'd say
Old 02-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Launching!

The restriction Silver02TA was having was due to the restrictive 2.5" core of the Sweet Thunder. Powersticks and Stainless Works make 3", no restriction sucking noises.
Anyways, the Powerstick I realize is going to tuck and fit better....but I dont know, I've heard some really good comments on the Flowmaster 1 chambers.
I just really want my ride LOUD and mean sounding.....a guy around here has a Camaro with a Borla on it.
It is WAY too quiet for my tastes, if someone can make a Borlamouth/Magnamouth........dont you think I could fit a Flowmaster 1 chamber in the I pipe???
Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Firehawk#614
There are a few sound clips of 1 chambers on ls1sounds.com. My car is on there. My 99 SS
Old 02-18-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, a guy posted on here awhile back and said he mounted a sweet thunder in his I-pipe and it sounded bad, but thats his opinion, I have never heard them in person.
I am biased toward the 1 chambers because I have them and they sound amazing! However, like was mentioned, ground clearance may be a problem being mounted in the I-pipe. FWIW, I have 4" of ground clearance with my 3" td's, and have no problems w/ speed bumps.
The measurements on the 3" mufflers are 6.25" L, 9.75" W, and 4" H .
The 2.5" mufflers however, are smaller at 5" L, 8" W, and 3" H.
If you can get it to fit, go w/ the 1 chamber. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails 1 series Flow. vs Powerstick...help me decide!-p7190029.jpg  
Old 02-18-2006, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Default Thank you JMM98LS1

THANK YOU JMM98LS1!!!!!!!!!! I may not be a tech but the 10 series is the picture you posted and the one 300bhp posted is a 30 or 40 series. So I ask you 300bhp DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT A 10 SERIES IS?????? I also will state that I never said it would fit better than the stick but it surely will not create a clearance issue.

Last edited by firefighter34; 02-18-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Hey, thanks a lot JBIRD02! Awesome post and thanks for the pic!
Now I just need to decide if I'm going with the 3" in/out or the 2.5" in/out.
Obviously, the 2.5" will save me some clearance and fit better, but I wonder if it will cause a restriction. Kinda worried about that, so I may just go with the 3"......especially since the TSP Rumbler is 3" itself.
Thanks a lot for all of your input guys! I really do appreciate it and I'll let you guys know in the future what the setup sounds like!
I gotta get me some new tires first though.....which=new wheels. Thats gonna take up most of my money first, unfortunately
Old 02-18-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

THANK YOU JMM98LS1!!!!!!!!!! I may not be a tech but the 10 series is the picture you posted and the one 300bhp posted is a 30 or 40 series. So I ask you 300bhp DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT A 10 SERIES IS?????? I also will state that I never said it would fit better than the stick but it surely will not create a clearance issue.
READ I said I got the pic from Flowmasters website.

Here click on the frigging link yourself and tell me what you see and what it says: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3259

P.S. I'm not saying the pic is correct, but since I don't work for Flowmaster I can only use what info they supply.

And besides my initial comment was based on the fact that the Powerstick is SMALLER. As diameter is what matters because even with a small muffler you still have straight pipe either side of it.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Trans
The restriction Silver02TA was having was due to the restrictive 2.5" core of the Sweet Thunder. Powersticks and Stainless Works make 3", no restriction sucking noises.
Anyways, the Powerstick I realize is going to tuck and fit better....but I dont know, I've heard some really good comments on the Flowmaster 1 chambers.
I just really want my ride LOUD and mean sounding.....a guy around here has a Camaro with a Borla on it.
It is WAY too quiet for my tastes, if someone can make a Borlamouth/Magnamouth........dont you think I could fit a Flowmaster 1 chamber in the I pipe???
Thanks for all the input guys!
i must admit that it sounds NICE with LTs and ORY, just got it all put on last week. you can't hear the choking like you could with stock manifolds/cats. very throaty and loud. but no less, i think i'm gonna switch to a powerstick in the i-pipe and place the sweet thunder on the back end of the rumbler (exits the driver tailpipe). should sound just like the GMMG.

Quick Reply: 1 series Flow. vs Powerstick...help me decide!