Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: what's your choice will be ?
True Duals
65.11%
ORY & Catback
34.89%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

poll: true duals VS Ypipe & cat-back?.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poll: true duals VS Ypipe & cat-back?.....

At the moment I have the ordinary set up:
Hooker lt’s , custom Y pipe (no cats) , borla with (Corsa tips) = sound like A$$

That’s enough!! I am going to change my whole exhaust by next month and still don't know what to go with , a lot of members here r going with duals these days .I want my car to sound like mustang ...they have nice rumble

So what do you prefer and why? Vote plz

thanx and regards
Bu Kahlifa
Old 02-18-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either 2.5" or 3' duals with x or h pipe & 1 chamber flowmasters.. There is no substitute, this set up sounds killer!

Mike
Old 02-18-2006, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Pacesetter lt's to 3" TD's out the back with dynomax bullets. I absolutely love this setup. It is crazy loud, and it makes me smile each and everytime i start the car. As far as wanting to sound like a mustang, my exhuast doesnt sound like a mustang, it sounds like a WS6 and thats how i like it. anyway my vote is definatly going to be TD's all the way!!! and you will see some performance gains over the ory setup you currently have.

jus my .02

seth
Old 02-18-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

True duals sound better IMO. And had you not already bought the ory and catback and had them dumped at the axle would've been cheaper.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28*POWER*
At the moment I have the ordinary set up:
Hooker lt’s , custom Y pipe (no cats) , borla with (Corsa tips) = sound like A$$

That’s enough!! I am going to change my whole exhaust by next month and still don't know what to go with , a lot of members here r going with duals these days .I want my car to sound like mustang ...they have nice rumble

So what do you prefer and why? Vote plz

thanx and regards
Bu Kahlifa
Honestly the best thing to do is read and learn about exhuast setups

Moany will say "oooo get duals they are best" but this is just a myth from people who don't really know. And there does seem to be this ethos that duals - make a car.

Rubbish. Duals can be good, but they may not always be better and for other reason can be worse.

In performance terms it's all about flow rate. A good 3" Y setup is fine for most owners and larger 3.5" setups work even better. A Y pipe scavenges in a similar mannor as an X pipe so you get the same advantages. It's purly pipe diamter that is a restricting factor above certain bhp levels.

Duals are great and ultimatley a 3" dual setup has the best flow, but most Fbody's make no where near enough power to utilise it.

Duals are also an issue as there are few off the shelf kits, and most that are available dump before the axel, so they are VERY loud.

Custom setups are great if done well, but a poorly design system will have fitment and clearance issues along with the possibility of lower performance. So research it well.

Duals also can be a hinderance if you want to run an after market torque arm as it will limit your choice or you need to design the system with the torque arm in mind.

As for sound, well that's personal. The LS1 will NOT sound like an OHC Mustang. But it can still sound good, just a different type of sound.

Duals do sound GREAT, but really Y pipes don't sound bad either.

Check out the GTO clips on this website, it has duals and IMO is the best sounding LSx setup I've heard: http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/m...da6d13de0410e3
Old 02-18-2006, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

Search. The answer is obvious.

True duals with Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers is what you want. Period.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car with true 3" duals, X pipe and 1 Chamber Flows
Old 02-18-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Honestly the best thing to do is read and learn about exhuast setups

Moany will say "oooo get duals they are best" but this is just a myth from people who don't really know. And there does seem to be this ethos that duals - make a car.

Rubbish. Duals can be good, but they may not always be better and for other reason can be worse.

In performance terms it's all about flow rate. A good 3" Y setup is fine for most owners and larger 3.5" setups work even better. A Y pipe scavenges in a similar mannor as an X pipe so you get the same advantages. It's purly pipe diamter that is a restricting factor above certain bhp levels.

Duals are great and ultimatley a 3" dual setup has the best flow, but most Fbody's make no where near enough power to utilise it.

Duals are also an issue as there are few off the shelf kits, and most that are available dump before the axel, so they are VERY loud.

Custom setups are great if done well, but a poorly design system will have fitment and clearance issues along with the possibility of lower performance. So research it well.

Duals also can be a hinderance if you want to run an after market torque arm as it will limit your choice or you need to design the system with the torque arm in mind.

As for sound, well that's personal. The LS1 will NOT sound like an OHC Mustang. But it can still sound good, just a different type of sound.

Duals do sound GREAT, but really Y pipes don't sound bad either.

Check out the GTO clips on this website, it has duals and IMO is the best sounding LSx setup I've heard: http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/m...da6d13de0410e3
Good post and the GTO does sound bad ***!

I personally think a catback with cats sounds the best.

True duals make it sound like a race car, which is cool and red neck both at the same time. Sometimes they even remind me of a garabage truck, but hey...whatever floats your boat.

Edit: I fixed "read" neck. Note to self: "red neck" is a bad thing to mispell.

Last edited by Louie83; 02-18-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well...I guess I'm just a READ (RED) neck... cause I know how to spell and like the true duals sound.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Duals will make more power.

The difference is under the curve. Max power may be the same or very similer, but there will be a difference under the curve because proper duals with an X-pipe WILL scavenge better than a Y-pipe.

That said, you can go PLENTY fast with a proper Y-pipe.

That said, duals sound better.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

my pacesetters, orp and hooker exhaust sounds kick ***.
i used to have a magnaflow catback on the car, but it was too raspy sounding for me.
while under the curve power is always better than just peak power, the duals dont make that much more power.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:31 AM
That's what she said...

Click the link in my sig that says TSP/Magnaflow duals

Pics/vids in that thread.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:28 AM
12 Second Club

Either 2.5" or 3' duals with x or h pipe & 1 chamber flowmasters.. There is no substitute, this set up sounds killer!
Im with MM98 I have the h-pipe and it sounds great
Old 02-19-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

i agree 1 chamber flowmasters sounds sick....im wondering why borla with longtubes sounds like a$$...borla is one of the better catbacks for the ls1!!
Old 02-19-2006, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys for your help , after watching TheBlurLS1 sound clips in his sig i decided to order true duals from TSP with sweet thunder...that is the sound i was looking for in my ls1

i think mine will be louder than TheBlurLS1 because i have cam ,lt's ,no cats and ST muffler's
Old 02-19-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you aren't worried about ground clearance, and want to run an Off road setup ... I'd do a 3" Hpipe setup. Dumped at the axle or over the axle. You wont beat the sound of duals on these cars.

I went with a catted Ypipe and catback just b/c I got tired of the drone of the 3" X pipe and the clearance problems.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

I personally think duals are overated. As many people that get them, you will see an equal amount who have gone back to y pipe setups because they get tired of drone and ground clearance. a good 3in o/r ypipe w. flowmaster merge and a good catback will make more than enough power.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:52 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Z28*POWER*
thanks guys for your help , after watching TheBlurLS1 sound clips in his sig i decided to order true duals from TSP with sweet thunder...that is the sound i was looking for in my ls1

i think mine will be louder than TheBlurLS1 because i have cam ,lt's ,no cats and ST muffler's
Here's a video of me running before i had the cats put in. It was straight duals w/ dumps, LT's, no cats, and a cam in this one

The video doesnt do the sound justice, it was awesome. It's alot quieter now, but i still think it sounds great.

BTW - this video is hot off the press

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-DD55CF5232B2
Old 02-20-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Addict

Duals all the way, though i'd be worried about an under the axle setup like Blur's...not for clearance, but for the hassle of having to remove the rear pipes from the car every time it needs to be jacked up to be worked on.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
I personally think duals are overated. As many people that get them, you will see an equal amount who have gone back to y pipe setups because they get tired of drone and ground clearance. a good 3in o/r ypipe w. flowmaster merge and a good catback will make more than enough power.

I do not think there are anywhere near as many people who went back to a Y-pipe after trying duals as there are currently running duals. Perhaps a poll is in order, but I would be willing to bet that the VAST majority of dual owners keep them.

The lowest point on my duals is where the factory Y-pipe is crushed. If the duals are tucked up properly the ground clearance won't be any better with a Y-pipe.

If the drone is that bad the first thing to try is different mufflers, then taking them out the back.

Quick Reply: poll: true duals VS Ypipe & cat-back?.....