Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it ok to yank out air system ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it ok to yank out air system ?

I have an 01 SS (non EGR car), will pulling out the air pump, check valves with air tubes , and putting block off plates on the headers cause any problems even if i get it tuned out
Old 02-18-2006, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.

FYI: In the future the stickies and search button can answer all kinds of questions such as this.

If you get it tuned off properly you will have no SES light and no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yank that junk outa there! I just did it myself. Piece of cake!!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

had mine ditched and tuned out
Old 02-19-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Ditched mine and didn't get it tuned out yet. Still no probs at all. Only the ses light but it's not throwing a code for the air pump just the rear o2's.
BTW there is no performance gain from this just a cleaner looking engine bay. And cures backfiring if the check valve is bad.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:11 AM
That's what she said...

The AIR system is a piece of ****. It works on this principle.....

"Dilution is the solution to polution...."
Old 02-19-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The AIR system is worthless. Get it tuned out, and yank that junk out of there. I've had my AIR system removed for a while, and haven't had any problems.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

makes it a lot easier to work under the hood as well
Old 02-19-2006, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The AIR system is a piece of ****. It works on this principle.....

"Dilution is the solution to polution...."
Yes, the principle they work on is rediculously stupid. I've read that it helps the cats but I dont' see how or why. As far as I'm concerned it's as you stated, which is just plain stupid.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Teching In

quick question- where can i get some block off plates to remove all that smog crap? i have a '02 btw, so its just an air system right?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

I ordered mine form Speed Inc. , get the air block off plates , and the air gaskets. It all came out to like $20
Old 02-19-2006, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

whats the use of this? just to free up space in the engine bay to make it easier to work in?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:39 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

that and wieght savings.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FBodyPerformer
whats the use of this? just to free up space in the engine bay to make it easier to work in?

Extra work space, less to remove everytime you do work, weight reduction and less systems to have a problem with in the future.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:57 PM
That's what she said...

And lets not forget the most important part, it helps make your engine bay look like this, which we will refer to as "The Baller-Bay"!

:/shameless:

I'll just hope FIREHAWK#608 doesn't step in and send me packing!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Launching!

I would say if you are not running cats, then yes definately get rid of it and get it tuned out. Gets rid of unnecessary clutter under the hood and makes it easier to work on stuff.

If you are running cats, I would leave it in. Anyone care to comment if you plan on leaving the cats in???
Old 02-20-2006, 12:22 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Red2000SS
I would say if you are not running cats, then yes definately get rid of it and get it tuned out. Gets rid of unnecessary clutter under the hood and makes it easier to work on stuff.

If you are running cats, I would leave it in. Anyone care to comment if you plan on leaving the cats in???
Remove it even if you are running cats. This is how this system works: When they take a sniffer test to the car, it counts the amount of pollutants per exhaust gas that is flowing out. If you pump in a **** load of air while this is happening, it will appear that there is less pollutants per amount of air coming out, which is true. HOWEVER the same amount of overall "bad stuff" is coming out, AIR pump on or not.

Just make damn sure you don't take the car to have a sniffer test done when its dead cold! The cats have to reach a certain "operating temp" if you will, before they start catala-sizing the sheit.

Just like when a plant wants to dump 1000 gallons of **** in a river, and can only dump X amount PER gallon of water, they just put it more water! It's alot cheaper than paying the fine
Old 02-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Remove it even if you are running cats. This is how this system works: When they take a sniffer test to the car, it counts the amount of pollutants per exhaust gas that is flowing out. If you pump in a **** load of air while this is happening, it will appear that there is less pollutants per amount of air coming out, which is true. HOWEVER the same amount of overall "bad stuff" is coming out, AIR pump on or not.

Just make damn sure you don't take the car to have a sniffer test done when its dead cold! The cats have to reach a certain "operating temp" if you will, before they start catala-sizing the sheit.

Just like when a plant wants to dump 1000 gallons of **** in a river, and can only dump X amount PER gallon of water, they just put it more water! It's alot cheaper than paying the fine
I think the AIR pumps are not there to dilute the exhuast gas - if thats all they did, your right there is still the same amount of "bad stuff" coming out.

I think the AIR pumps do reduce emissions - they only run for a few minutes when the engine (and cats) are cold. They pump fresh air into the exhaust upstream of the cats. The purpose is to get the cats up to operating temp quickly - any small amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust will burn up before / in the cats with the fresh air dumped into the exhaust. This will heat the cats up quicker - then the air pump turns off.

When the car is cold, it is in open loop and unless your tune is perfect there is a reasonably chance your air/fuel ratio is not perfect.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red2000SS
I think the AIR pumps are not there to dilute the exhuast gas - if thats all they did, your right there is still the same amount of "bad stuff" coming out.

I think the AIR pumps do reduce emissions - they only run for a few minutes when the engine (and cats) are cold. They pump fresh air into the exhaust upstream of the cats. The purpose is to get the cats up to operating temp quickly - any small amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust will burn up before / in the cats with the fresh air dumped into the exhaust. This will heat the cats up quicker - then the air pump turns off.

When the car is cold, it is in open loop and unless your tune is perfect there is a reasonably chance your air/fuel ratio is not perfect.

You are correct......
Old 02-23-2006, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Do any of you guys who have 00's or later want to sell your air tubes or egr. I would be very interested..

pm me