Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

egr or no egr headers

Old 02-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default egr or no egr headers

i am about to purchase a set of headers. my car is a 99 so it has the egr/air valves. i want to buy pacesetter headers. it gives me the choice of race style(no egr) or just 98-99. im guessing the second comes with egr hook-ups. my question is which is better or do i need the egr since my car came froim the factory with it?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The headers are the same so no performance difference. Only difference is as you stated EGR/AIR.

So the question is not which headers? But are you keeping EGR & AIR. If yes then evidently get the headers that cater for it, if no - well it's obvious.

EGR/AIR will offer ZERO bhp by their removal (AIR is only active for 20 seconds or so on start up and EGR is not operational at WOT). It can clean the engine bay up some what and of course the race headers and non EGR LS6 intake manifold are slightly cheaper (but not by much).

EGR is actually good as it helps reduce PEAK combustion chamber temps, this reduces NOX emissions, however I'm also a believer that on certain setups this can also help to reduce knock/detonation.

If you remove them you will trip a few engine codes, you'll need these deleting to pass any sort of OBDII check. You may also fail a sniffer test without EGR, but it depends what they are checking for.

Personally I'm keeping both, but that's because I'm in the UK so they are a bit more strict about it, however the choice is yours to make.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also, deleting EGR means your will either have to install a LS6 intake or plug the EGR port in your LS1 intake.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

i would delete it if you are going to get an ls6 intake somewhere down the road. I didnt delete mine when I installed my headers and wish that I did. It adds time to the install and makes it harder to get to the spark plugs and wires down the road.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
The headers are the same so no performance difference. Only difference is as you stated EGR/AIR.

So the question is not which headers? But are you keeping EGR & AIR. If yes then evidently get the headers that cater for it, if no - well it's obvious.

EGR/AIR will offer ZERO bhp by their removal (AIR is only active for 20 seconds or so on start up and EGR is not operational at WOT). It can clean the engine bay up some what and of course the race headers and non EGR LS6 intake manifold are slightly cheaper (but not by much).

EGR is actually good as it helps reduce PEAK combustion chamber temps, this reduces NOX emissions, however I'm also a believer that on certain setups this can also help to reduce knock/detonation.

If you remove them you will trip a few engine codes, you'll need these deleting to pass any sort of OBDII check. You may also fail a sniffer test without EGR, but it depends what they are checking for.

Personally I'm keeping both, but that's because I'm in the UK so they are a bit more strict about it, however the choice is yours to make.
ok, that pretty much answers my question. so it is pretty much just a personal preferance no major increase/loss of power. i am going to be gettin an ls6 intake sooner or later. thanks.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flewbyurgt
ok, that pretty much answers my question. so it is pretty much just a personal preferance no major increase/loss of power. i am going to be gettin an ls6 intake sooner or later. thanks.
No pwer differance at all, or put it this way it'll have the same affect on HP as it does by using different wiper blades
Old 02-21-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by lgobraves
i would delete it if you are going to get an ls6 intake somewhere down the road. I didnt delete mine when I installed my headers and wish that I did. It adds time to the install and makes it harder to get to the spark plugs and wires down the road.
This guy definetly changes his own plugs I live in a emission testing state(hell I am a ET inspector) and with the tuning options out there and with how much better the engine bay looks without the EGR/AIR hook ups its a no brainer as far as I am concerned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: egr or no egr headers