Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Delete - Using AIR Pump for Crankcase Vacuum?

Old 02-22-2006, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCV Delete - Using AIR Pump for Crankcase Vacuum?

When I install my FAST 90/NW 90 setup in the next few weeks, I want to ditch the PCV system so that I don't have to worry about oil getting into the intake at all.

At the same time, I don't want to worry about a lack of crankcase vacuum causing ring seal and oil consumption issues.

A local performance shop suggested using the AIR pump that I've removed as a source for crankcase vacuum. Has anyone heard of this? If so - how does it work?

I'm assuming I'll need to run a breather off the passenger valve cover, and a line from both valve covers into a catch can, and from there, into the air pump. Is this correct?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:31 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I havent heard of this "air pump" method first hand, but it makes sense on how it might work. I bet you can just get a breather for both valve covers and !PCV all together. I don't really see where the air pump fits into that equation with the catch can method though.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont know how much the pump can pull, but you can have too much vacuum for the crankcase
Old 02-22-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

y not just throw a breather on it and call it a day ... thats what i'm doing after trying every combination of PCV valves and catchcan setups and still getting oil in the intake.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:41 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FstBlkz28
y not just throw a breather on it and call it a day ... thats what i'm doing after trying every combination of PCV valves and catchcan setups and still getting oil in the intake.
did the breather take care of the problem?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Yes, I can get a breather for both valve covers and ditch the PCV, but that would leave me with no crankcase vacuum, which I don't like.

Good point oange ss, hopefully some other users can weigh in with more information.
That would leave me with no crankcase vacuum, which I don't like. If you don't have any information that pertains to my specific question, please don't ***** my thread.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Not even a greddy catch can?

I believe that he might have something to say, for your best interest, about this thread if one of your concerns is not allowing oil into your intake, which i am also looking for a fix.

Dont sound like a fool on your own thread...

Now, if we remove all of the pcv lines an run two breathers, i can understand since th4 vacuum will be lower due to the free flowing air. What if you ran only one breather? Will that help enough?

I can understand how this, low vaccum, might hinder some of the accesories that run of that vacuum but how will it hurt your seals? I have seen this posted before but unsure how.... I understand how alot of blow-by can cause to much crank pressure and balmo, seals go but not vacuum...

Last edited by obZidian; 02-22-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tried it and it wasnt strong enough to pull a good vacuum, so i just got rid of it and ahve been using breathers since.
if your serious about doing it your only real option is to get a real crankcase vacuum pump, one of those mechanical like morso sells.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
i tried it and it wasnt strong enough to pull a good vacuum, so i just got rid of it and ahve been using breathers since.
if your serious about doing it your only real option is to get a real crankcase vacuum pump, one of those mechanical like morso sells.
Thank you for the reply!

I checked out the Moroso units at Summit Racing... pricey!

Are you having any negative issues using just the breathers? If you're happy with the PCV delete with breathers on a turbo car, I'm sure my N2O car will be fine with that setup...
Old 02-22-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Yes, I can get a breather for both valve covers and ditch the PCV, but that would leave me with no crankcase vacuum, which I don't like.

Good point oange ss, hopefully some other users can weigh in with more information.That would leave me with no crankcase vacuum, which I don't like. If you don't have any information that pertains to my specific question, please don't ***** my thread.
I'm SO sorry ... please excuse me

Originally Posted by obZidian
Not even a greddy catch can?
I'm running the AMW catch can right now. I'm pleased with the amount of oil that it catches each oil change, its definitely better than running the system without a catch can. But my intake still has a sheen to it, so oil vapor is still be getting through the catch can some how. I decided to go w/ the breather after reading through some very thorough discussions, and hope to have it on the car in the next week or so.

Last edited by FstBlkz28; 02-22-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

ive only used a sears air\water seperator and ive had no issues with oil in the tb...its been done a few times before on this site, its cheep and it works great... id say just do that instead of overcomplicating a simple problem...jmo
Old 02-22-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

pics and part numbers available BTW just pm me
Old 03-01-2006, 02:28 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry to bring this back up from its 6 day death, but ive got some ideas for this. I have 2 AIR pumps laying around, and im going to tinker with them. Hooking them up they move a decent volume of air. Ill hook up a hose, with a vacuum gauge and get a reading this week some time. You could always run the pump to evac the crank case, and a breather with a restriciton to allow fresh air in. You need the restriction to create a vacuum, as theres too much volume in there to leave it unrestricted. So possibly a metal insert with epoxy and a drilled hole to get the vacuum that you want. Ive read that anywhere from 6-14" is good and wont mess with the seals. Now wether or not the AIR pump can even come close to that, ill know this week.

So my system will go like this. Restricted breather on one valve cover. Line for AIR pump somewhere on the motor, probly other valve cover. Water/Air seperator, to keep the oil out of the pump. AIR pump for vacuum. Line to the intake, or a welded pipe in the exhaust like the SBC EVAC kits that summit/jegs sell.

Only problem is that im going to be testing this on a little 1.5l honda motor, then possibly a 350sbc, or a buddies LS1, as mine is down for some work.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:05 PM
10 Second Club

I want to run a breather setup on my motor. Is one working ok for some of you people? Or should there be one on both sides? It sounds like the amw catch cans still leave a little bit of oil vapors getting into the intake.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRracing
I want to run a breather setup on my motor. Is one working ok for some of you people? Or should there be one on both sides? It sounds like the amw catch cans still leave a little bit of oil vapors getting into the intake.
I just got my breather in the mail today from Year one. I'm going to be putting it in this weekend, and deleting the PCV system. I've got to replace a knock sensor while I'm doing it so ... so i'm going to clean my intake out REAL well while its off the car.

Last edited by FstBlkz28; 03-01-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A vacume pump pulls a vacume and gives you neg pressure.An air pump creates positive pressure.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

I just put a breather on pass side and deleted pcv today. Having just installed PRC LS6 heads and seeing how nasty my intake manifold,runners on the old heads, and pistons were-forget it. I'm not having that happen again. I'll let everyone know how it works.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a question thats semi related to the PCV delete about the TB.

I've got an S2 ported TB, once I delete the PCV system. I could fill in the hole that fed the valve cover w/ fresh air couldn't I (not the hole going to the IAC motor)?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My understanding is that vacuum on the crankcase reduces pumping losses, slows contamination of oil from blowby, increases engine life/decreases wear, and is generally a good thing, up till you put so much on it that you start sucking oil off things that need oil on them...my reasearch indicates somewhere around 14" hg -ish. It also should relieve pressure from FI, if you give the extra pressure somewhere else to go in a closed system.

Just putting a breather on, if I understand correctly, will not allow enough scavenge of blowby, but does allow for some pressure relief (particularly in FI situations, eg. no more dipstick blowing and seals leaking). Breathers also do not catch any of the oily blowback fumes which would have been sent to the TB and burned again (or at least attempted to be burned) so instead it just gets all over everything in your engine bay.

For a really in depth discussion on this check out these guys:
http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread....electronic+pcv

They tried a lot of things, and at least did a lot of research on this pumping idea for vacuum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCV Delete - Using AIR Pump for Crankcase Vacuum?