Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is GMMG loud???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is GMMG loud???

Sorry, I know I've asked about a lot of different setups on here guys. Thanks for all of your input on everything though, appreciate it. I'm just trying to get the best thing I can get, for me.
Since I'm tired of dealing with the pain of True Duals, I'm thinking about going GMMG....as I've noticed people referring to it as close to TD's as possible. I dont like the fact that some people claim its pretty quiet though. I'm afraid of that, I was considering an LM just to be LOUD. But, I heard one in person and they do what they say LOUD.....but it is a (no offense, sorry guys) "redneck" sounding exhaust.
I think I might do a Cutout with a GMMG for the loudness I want, what you guys think???
Theres a clip on LS1sounds.com......of an '02 Hawk, SLP catted Y. I want mine to sound just like that! why does it sound so much louder and better than the other clips??? Cant be just because of that SLP catted Y, can it?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:49 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah it can be...also sounds good. The y-pipe and cats will definitely determine most of the loudness.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

if you are going catless you probably won't need a cutout, or at least listen to how it sounds WOT then decide, its pretty loud.

here is the shot of the inside of one of my mufflers

Old 02-25-2006, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

yes, you will hate it based on what you said in your post. straightpipe crap is what it will sound like, and im not the only one who thinks that
Old 02-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

For my tastes, with manifolds, cats and converter, it is as loud as I would want - a little too loud when cold, quiet at cruise, rowdy at WOT. Great overall sound quality. As far as I'm concerned, with headers and ORY it would be intolerable.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the GMMG sounds awesome with CATS, and poopy without them.

On that same LS1sounds page go about 10 cars further down to the 4 clips by BADFNZ. He's got QTP LT's and CATS. Then go a few lower than that to 02 SS with Kooks LT's and CATS. I think those two sound fricken amazing. Imagine how good they would sound with a cam too.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

GMMG sounds awesome with LTs and a cam. With cats it sounds like a wimp to me. CATS must GO !! I wouldnt say its loud though, but thats a tough question. Loud is different to different people.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its loud.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Launching!

Yea, those clips do sound amazing WOT! Its pretty calm at idol though, suprisingly. Then again, those are just sound clips, not in person.
I have to run CAT's, so they'll be on there.....I just dont want any issues when I go to CA. Thats the main reason for going GMMG, best catback, right?
What Catted Y-pipe could that '02 Hawk be running??? Is there a company that makes a Catted Y that bolts to the stock manifolds???
Or did he have it fabbed?
Thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which GMMG system are you guys talking about? Chambered or muffler?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Chambered ... I've never heard they make a muffler ... the reason that most people go with it is its deep tone - supposedly it's closest in sound to the classic musclecar sound. It's loud when you're on it, but suprisingly quiet at idle and cruise (once it's warm).
Old 02-26-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Chambered ... I've never heard they make a muffler ... the reason that most people go with it is its deep tone - supposedly it's closest in sound to the classic musclecar sound. It's loud when you're on it, but suprisingly quiet at idle and cruise (once it's warm).
Sorry. They do only make one. I've been looking at too many systems lately.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

I just had a GMMG installed last week. My old system was an SLP Dual/Dual. Compared to the Dual/Dual the GMMG is much louder than the Dual/Dual. At idle the GMMG has a very low rumble which I think sounds very aggressive. On light acceleration the volume increases but is not overbearing in my opinion. On hard acceleration it just SCREAMS and scares the crap out of anyone around. At 65-75 on the highway in 6th there is no drone and it is only barely audible. When you need it to quiet down you just lift your foot and it quiets down nicely. Overall I am very pleased with this exhaust. My car is mostly stock but the few mods are in my signature.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
On hard acceleration it just SCREAMS and scares the crap out of anyone around.
So true! I've heard a lot of people comment on mine and have never heard it referred to as "redneck". Admittedly, it was a bit "poppy" without the bullet I put in but I think it sounds pretty good now.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

I d like to give you my imput on my experience with stock manilfods, stock cats and GMMG
It does sound good and FROM the outside has a very unique sound to it
Now I think that cruising 75 on 6th is loud, I couldnt drive the car like that for more than 30 minutes, I d get 91 decibel
idle I would get 87 decibel
It was very loud when cold, but that didnt matter, that actually put a smile on my face, its just as a daily driver that it was a pain
about the decibel level: I got them with my friend radioshack db meter, so Im not just inventing numbers....
anyway I sorry to say that "cop car" was right when he said that they are glorified straight pipes,
I actually went back to Hooker CB for other reasons , but my ears are thanking now,
I d be really carefull with ls1sound, it doesnt give you any sense of how loud a system is , just good to give you an idea of the tone
I say get them if you want loud, but 91 db at cruising speed is too much for me
anyways thats my .02
Old 02-27-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cop Car
yes, you will hate it based on what you said in your post. straightpipe crap is what it will sound like, and im not the only one who thinks that
Exhaust is very subjective and I don't agree with this statement at all. I have the GMMG and it sounds nothing like straightpipes. It doesn't have the rasp or volume of straight pipes, and it is much more throaty and rumble than straight pipes. If the GMMG sounded like straight pipes, I'd have nothing to do with it. It is a bit on the loud side though. Just a little more quiet than the LM, but sounds much better IMO.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Wow, so you guys are saying GMMG sounds like straightpipe crap??? I thought Cop Car was referring to the LM. I've never heard anyone say that about a GMMG!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:15 AM
Board Certified Idiot

GMMG was desing for Cats Not wiht out them. Pay attation to the ppl that say they have had it but they cant stand the sound. Then look at there Mod sig You will usually see they dont RUN CATS. Without them its to Raspy or POPPY . They are left with fustration on why a expensive exhaust sounds like this., Unless your a REDNECK and you like that LOAD raspy noise. If so i say save your money and go buy a SLP LM. just my thought
Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by cedric85745
I d like to give you my imput on my experience with stock manilfods, stock cats and GMMG. It does sound good and FROM the outside has a very unique sound to it Now I think that cruising 75 on 6th is loud, I couldnt drive the car like that for more than 30 minutes, I d get 91 decibel
That's odd ... I cruise at 80 mph @2500rpm and all I hear is a pleasant hum from the rear of the car. Tire noise is louder than the exhaust.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Installed a GMMG on my 2000 SS a couple weeks ago. Sounds perfectly fine to me. Low, deep rumble at idle...throaty when you step on it...screams at WOT. Doesn't sound anything like straight pipes to me. Pops a little, but that's because the car hasn't been tuned since install (running lean).

I wonder how many of these folks that say they pop have had their car properly tuned since the install. A good tuner should be able to eliminate that problem.

I've heard a number of systems and IMHO GMMG is one of the best.

Quick Reply: is GMMG loud???