Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maf?

If i get a ported and TB do i would it be best to de screen my MAF for it to breath better or could i just leave it be? and if i descreen the MAF will i throw a SES light?
Old 02-27-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Big debate this, lol. You have been warned.

Essentailly de-screening the MAF will make bugger all HP. Yes some see it as a restriction but at the end of the day it's only going to be minor at best.

Many poeple have also had issues with descreening the MAF, poor idle and a big drop in mpg. This has little to do with removing a restriction. The screen creates a Laminar flow over the MAF sensors to get an accurate reading.

But just to add confusion, there are also many people who have removed it and had no problems at all.

Personally I beleive any gain to be small (as in not noticable in SOTP, ET or trap speed) or just non existant. So I see no reason to spend time removing it, espeically when it may cause issues.

FRA, throttle bump stop and ported TB are all worth while mods.

TB by-pass is only worth doing if you have an aftermarket TB which doesn't cater for it, as it's designed to give you better cruise economy and will have little or no affect on WOT (wide open throttle) performance.

AIR & EGR do not affect bhp at all, so the only reason to remove them is engine bay looks and cheaper headers, LS6 intake manifold swap.

This is all IMO so take it for what it's worth
Old 02-27-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably not worth the trouble. Mine is descreened though and no problems here.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:41 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flawless02SS
Probably not worth the trouble. Mine is descreened though and no problems here.
Same here, you really never know what you will get.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't do it. The possible benefits don't outweight the potential risks. I know people that do it to EVERY car they get and haven't had problems yet I know people that have had nightmares after doing it.

What's it worth? 2hp? Sure every little bit counts but when your car idles like **** and doesn't run worth a damn is that 2hp really worth it? Is it also worth having to drop $75+ on a new/used MAF if the descreened one doesn't work out for you?

Just some food for thought
Old 02-28-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know my descreened stock maf runs alot better in my car than the granatelli maf that didn't come with any screen.

stock w/ descreen = ~20mpg
granatell maf = ~9mpg
Old 02-28-2006, 07:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

hit or miss basically is the prognosis of this thread so far.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:25 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
stock w/ descreen = ~20mpg
granatell maf = ~9mpg
Are you freaking kidding me? what other mods did you have at the time and how rich was that thing running?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Are you freaking kidding me? what other mods did you have at the time and how rich was that thing running?
I have a hypertech tuner and tuned it with that.

I literally got like 60miles to a half tank. I was like omg. LS1s sucks teh ballz!!!

Then a guy at phfba.net said that I might have a fuel leak. Then I mentioned the granatelli maf and he advised me to take it off until I get to like 600hp and then put it back on. I took it off put the stock one on and bam!

Added 10-12 mpg.

I have a whisper lid, magnaflow catback, and hypertech tune for performance.

Some kind of RFG thing. I dunno. I programmed the stock calibration into the computer and drove around then programmed in the hypertech thing and the car feels like it has more spunk or get up. Not really faster or anthing just more. I dunno. May be my head.

Superchevy said just that tune alone is worth 12rwhp on an all stock engine with their dyno so.