Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flowmaster cat on 98 ta

Old 03-01-2006, 12:57 AM
gbb
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flowmaster cat on 98 ta

Hey, my first post so bare with me. I`m getting a flowmaster cat-back this week from Summit and was wondering if I should just clamp this on or should I have it done by midas??????
Old 03-01-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Midas (or any decent shop) will probably charge you an hour labor to put it on, and they can weld the tips if you want them to (not a bad idea, but not critical). If you want to save the money on the install, it's an easy system to put on yourself if you have somewhere to work and some simple tools. Getting the old exhaust off is usually the hard part. Good luck
Old 03-01-2006, 12:03 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say if you are able to....do it yourself. I will never pay for something that could have easily been done in my own garage.

Why a flowmaster? You are gonna be getting a tad bit more out of it over the stock setup anyway. Have you taken some time to peruse the sponsor list? ---------->
Just don't sell yourself short with exhaust that is not going to do what you thought it would.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I say if you are able to....do it yourself. I will never pay for something that could have easily been done in my own garage.

Why a flowmaster? You are gonna be getting a tad bit more out of it over the stock setup anyway. Have you taken some time to peruse the sponsor list? ---------->
Just don't sell yourself short with exhaust that is not going to do what you thought it would.
Yea its a breeze install as long as you have penetrating fluid and the car in the air high enough.

Yea what he said about the flowmaster...I ran flowmaster for 1.5 years and I just got a GMMG to replace it cause the flowmaster was already starting to look like total crap and the fitment sucked. It always rattled and crap and the sound is decent but not as good as other catbacks and it flows like crap compared to other catbacks as well. So basically it was $340 wasted when i should have bought the better catback to begin with. I also think its an ugly system too, the tips and big ugly muffler look blah. If your dead set on the flowmaster then by all means get it but there are much better catbacks out there and in their price range such as hooker, magnaflow, SLP loudmouth, etc.

Flowmaster Catback = newbie mistake, thats what happens when you get the car and want it to sound good but dont research or anything and just buy a product because its all over TV and the name is familiar, and I fell for it
Old 03-02-2006, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

Same here, I was "attracted" to the name brand of Flowmaster, then read allllllll about them on this forum. I found that the best CB for me was the Hooker system. Awesome sound, awesome price. Tips look good too. Like StealthFormula said, if you really want the flowmaster, get it, but remember that you're really only paying for the name brand with no performance gains, which to me is wasted money .

Jeremy
Old 03-02-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

IMO get your Flowmaster exhaust, but get a cutout installed with it, because no cat back can give you more flow than cutout. Plus people can hear you comin from about half a mile down the road.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah....Flowmaster muffler was my frist mistake too.

I have Stainless Works headers now together with Random Tech cats and a B&B Triflo catback, and I should be getting my Qtec cutout tomorrow and have it installed on Saturday

If there is any way that you can cancel the order on the Flowmaster, or return it without losing too much money on the restocking fee....do it! Much better systems out there!

Manny
Old 03-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Launching!

I gotta say i did the same thing when i had my third gen. I bought the flowmaster, then about a month later is when i started doing the reaserch and found out how much they suck. My buddie had a hooker cat back on his third gen and it sounded awsome. I have magnaflow now and I love that cat back to death. So i would say go between Magnaflow and Hooker and you wont regret it. Speed INC has the Hooker for $339 and Magnaflow or $419. They offer free shipping too.

Derek
Old 03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
gbb
Teching In

Hey thanks for all the input. I admit I am LS1 newbee. Didnt plan on getting TA now but could`nt pass it up for $7200, 86,000mi. Guy bailed out of it due to marrige going south. LS1 is one bad powertrain..
-greg

Search this Thread