Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02-00 intake swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02-00 intake swap

Ok i how smart is it to plug the coolant lines when doing the swap instead of buying the new stuff? My friend did it to his car and its been runnin fine for about 3 months now. Just wondering if there is a real drawback. I have a good chance to get an LS6 intake for cheap and was just wondering.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

Do you mean using the factory block-offs at the back of the heads or are you talking about crimping and brazing the factory lines from the '98-'00 cars?

Don't worry about the blockoffs on the back as long as you have the crossover at the front of the heads on the '01+ cars. The '01+ cars had this because it actually eliminated pockets of steam. It's an improvement from the older style. Direct swap.

Don't crimp and braze, that will leak a couple years after unless it was a pro doing the brazing. Just buy the factory parts, front and back and use new metal o-rings(factory) when you swap.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just did a ls6 swap this last week and i forgot about buying the factory block off so i made some out of the ones i had lol i just cut them and closed the ends in a vice as tight as i could and headed it with a torch 120 miles so far so good no leakes

and yes it is fine or the factory would have them
Old 03-02-2006, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Well ive never done the swap, and i know from reading that when going with an LS6 intake on a 98-00 car there are coolant lines to worry about. My friend is a mechanic and he suggested that we just block them off since i have a 00 car. He said thats what he did to his (99).
Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

DAns red best of luck to yeah. For 30 bucks I would get the block offs and the new cross over pipe. Unless you like dexcool blowing all over your wind shield and pouring down your motor and trans.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i was in the middle of doing it had to have it done that day and only like 10 psi if that comes out of it Im not telling anyone to do it if i pull the intake agin i will put the block off plates in im sure nothing will come out of mine

we did a T.B bypass on a friends car and he didnt put the clamps on and that didnt even leak so i should be ok not to much pressure