Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick ? on LS6 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick ? on LS6 Intake

A couple of pictures i've seen have shown some sort of foam strip on the bottom of the LS1 and LS6 intakes at the front and back. My new one from SLP didn't come with that foam on it. Is that needed? Should it have come with? Can I reuse the old foam? I'm swapping tomorrow, so hopefully i can answer this before then. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know of any intake that requires foam.

You need the intake gaskets thats for sure.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

I was looking at this picture specifically:

Old 03-03-2006, 07:21 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is to help keep water and **** off of the knock sensors? You could buy some weather stripping to stick under if if you're that concerned, but i doubt it's a big deal at all.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

Here's the answer to your question: the foam does not block water from the knocks... it can't. It's actually there to keep the wind from making a "whistling" sound when you car goes over 30 mph. Imagine when you blow into a bottle at an angle and it makes the whistling sound?...

There have been posts about some FAST manifolds whistling (which don't have foam from the factory) You might as well put some foam on, it would sure be a pain to remove the intake if it did whistle which is a very small chance. (maybe 5% odds if I was betting) That's why the factory added foam. Now you know.

I didn't put any on when I did my Weiand manifold, but I was worried and cringing until after the 1st trime I drove it at speed with no sound.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:56 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Here's the answer to your question: the foam does not block water from the knocks... it can't. It's actually there to keep the wind from making a "whistling" sound when you car goes over 30 mph. Imagine when you blow into a bottle at an angle and it makes the whistling sound?...

There have been posts about some FAST manifolds whistling (which don't have foam from the factory) You might as well put some foam on, it would sure be a pain to remove the intake if it did whistle which is a very small chance. (maybe 5% odds if I was betting) That's why the factory added foam. Now you know, the resssssssst of the story.

I didn't put any on when I did my Weiand manifold, but I was worried and cringing until after the 1st trime I drove it at speed with no sound.

Good info! I was just guessing!
Old 03-04-2006, 04:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

******* Paul Harvey. What ever happened to that guy?
Old 03-04-2006, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just got back my LS6 intake manifold back from TPIS, who just did thier oval porting to match the TB. anyway, it was sent back to me with no foam on it either.

so being ****, like i am when it comes to the car, i want everything perfect, i went to the dealer, and sure enough, they sell the foam!

i bought 2 new strips of foam, about $3 for both strips,
along with all new seals, about $55 for all 8! ouch.