Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best spot for cutout

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best spot for cutout

where would be the best spot to weld in a electric cutout a ory, i currently have a catted slp 3 inch y. but i want the car louder i figure a cutout with cats just doesn't sound right.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Launching!

put it before the cat.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:57 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by 98a4z28-410rwhp
put it before the cat.
Agreed
Old 03-05-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cutout without cats sounds horrible in my book. From a performance perspective, you don't want to have a cutout before the cats. It would be better after the y merge.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put mine in. Most people do it the way I did....after all, if you look on the underside of your car you notice that indentation right where my cutout is....looks GM put that indentation there for a reason!

Manny
Old 03-06-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
A cutout without cats sounds horrible in my book. From a performance perspective, you don't want to have a cutout before the cats. It would be better after the y merge.
I'm not really sure how you'd get better peformance putting a cutout after the cats as compared to before. You can't be talking in terms of flow. Are you referring to the cutouts interfering with the readings the O2's will get if there are pre-cat cutouts?
Old 03-06-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I'm not really sure how you'd get better peformance putting a cutout after the cats as compared to before. You can't be talking in terms of flow. Are you referring to the cutouts interfering with the readings the O2's will get if there are pre-cat cutouts?

The y-merge is needed to help scavenging. You take the benefits of scavenging out of the equation when you put the cutout before the merge. I'd think it would also be harder to tune with the cutouts being so close to the front O2's(assuming LT's). The O2's would sense a lean condition and dump more fuel in. He'd probable need one tune for the cutouts closed, and one for when they are open. If he has shorty headers then he won't be able to fit cutouts before the cats anyways. If he has longtubes, then he might be able to fit the cutouts in before the cats depending on location. I know that I've heard of hp losses when putting cutouts that far upstream. why not just go with a proven location?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

So The Best Spot Is The I Section On Y Pipe .
Old 03-06-2006, 06:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Yes it is the best spot. Are you guys nuts? Before the cat?!!>! !@#?@?@!???
that would/does sound like complete ***!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:52 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

The y-merge is needed to help scavenging. You take the benefits of scavenging out of the equation when you put the cutout before the merge. I'd think it would also be harder to tune with the cutouts being so close to the front O2's(assuming LT's). The O2's would sense a lean condition and dump more fuel in. He'd probable need one tune for the cutouts closed, and one for when they are open. If he has shorty headers then he won't be able to fit cutouts before the cats anyways. If he has longtubes, then he might be able to fit the cutouts in before the cats depending on location. I know that I've heard of hp losses when putting cutouts that far upstream. why not just go with a proven location?
Right on dude! Well put too.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not arguing with where most people put it, just wondering the thoughts behind it. The O2 confusion with the pre-cat sorta setup is obviously not worth it.

orange - I have a 408 setup with LT/ORY/LM... even a pre-cat cutout would sound better
Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

how will it sound after the cat i'm putting in a hot cam as well how close will it sound to an open ory. thats how my last car with a hot cam was and it sounded mean.