Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of the Magnaflow Y-collector?

Old 03-04-2006, 10:50 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What do you think of the Magnaflow Y-collector?

I have been researching exhaust systems for a couple of months now. When and if I upgrade, I will probably go with QTP or Dynatech SuperMaxx headers. I want a stainless y-pipe, probably catted. Even though the SuperMaxx y-pipe is stainless, and well regarded, I think I would prefer a 3” setup over Dynatech’s 2.5”. So, I am basically left with a custom y-pipe. Based on what I have learned here, it appears the merge is very important. Everyone says the Flowmaster merge is awesome, but it is not stainless. What do you think of the Magnaflow 3” in/out merge? I believe it is stamped from 18 gauge 400 series stainless. Thanks for your time.

Magnaflow Y-Collector
Old 03-04-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an ok part, but honsetly the flowmaster merge collector is much more efficient and will have better scavenging capabilities. Thats why I picked it for my custom Ypipe.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flowmaster is definately the best design. The Magnaflow looks pretty good though, and I'd kind of doubt there be awhole lot of power difference between the two.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a custom stainless y merge done yourself, just make it like the flowmaster.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:21 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to have a custom 3"in/4"out stainless y-collector just like Flowmaster's. QTP uses that configuration, and then uses a 4"-to-3" reducer. Supposedly, that flows/scavenges well. I am not familiar with any reputable speed shops in the Lansing, MI area, and a post in the Midwest section yielded 0 replies. If the consensus is that the Flowmaster rules and nothing else even comes close, I will just have to pick a local shop, even if it is just franchise, and start there.

Search this Thread