Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Leak (Help!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Leak (Help!)

I installed some long tubes and I read that I should tighten the bolts every once in awhile. I tightened them two weeks after installation and some of them were really loose. I noticed that before I tightened them I had a bad exhaust leak and could hear the chatter from in the car even at idle.

After I tightened them all real snug I still hear the exhaust leak when I drive. Could I have burnt the gasket? I don't understand why it is still leaking after I tightened them all. It also backfires. It didn't do that when I first installed it.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think I might have burnt the gasket. The worst part is that it is only on the passenger side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:26 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Can you tell where it is leaking at? if its the gaskets you can feel for the leak.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use the stock metal gaskets or the crappy paper ones that came with your headers? If you used the paper ones, it's possible you burnt the gasket. Probably not the problem if you used the stockers.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

I never re-use gaskets so I used the kind of weird plastic feeling gaskets that came with the headers. It is ticking really bad from the exhaust leak. I haven't felt around the heads, but my y-pipe won't stay clamped tight to the long tube, but it has always been like that and never made the noise before.

I was driving to school and my T-Top on the driver's side flew off of the car and shattered all over the road. I had it clamped down and everything. So I get to buy a new one.

EDIT: Just to let you know I removed the AIR system. The new headers didn't come with any emissions attachments. I will try and get some pictures up.

Last edited by adillhoff; 03-07-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would use stock metal gaskets only, im sure your stock ones were still good, i reused mine with 55k miles on them.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock metal ones only, the paper or plasticy ones only last for a short time. I know from experience after 3 headers on my car in 5 yrs.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

I reused my stock ones on Sanderson headers with no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

I would've used my stock ones, but they were pretty much welded to the manifold and most of it was cracked. So why would only the passenger side have a problem?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:31 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adillhoff
I would've used my stock ones, but they were pretty much welded to the manifold and most of it was cracked. So why would only the passenger side have a problem?
Non OEM gaskets aren't guaranteed to start leaking, but they are more prone to. New OEM gaskets are like $15 bux a piece, and can be changed without removing the headers. You just have to un-bolt them, slide out the old gaskets (if you can), and slide in the new ones.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the stock GM ones, those paper gaskets that come with the headers aren't worth wasting your time with (even if they haven't blown yet, they will.....................soon)
Old 03-07-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Another thing I want to point out just to give all of you information. As I drive the noise tends to quiet down the hotter the engine gets. I don't know if that has any relevance or not.

Would the exhaust leak contribute to the backfire?

Thank you all for contributing your advice. It is very helpful to me.

EDIT: I felt around the headers/heads for any obvious leak and couldn't find anything. I was only able to reach around the front of the engine. I think it is coming out around piston #8. When I get a hold of a jack I will check it out under there. It gets so hot so quick it burns my hand if I check down there... lol
Old 03-08-2006, 03:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either get new gaskets or re-use the old ones. I understand never re-using gaskets but in this case the oem gaskets are fine to re-use, lots and lots of tried and true experience on here.

Just go ahead and replace them, you can be pretty sure that if you ran the other gaskets with the bolts loose they are shot.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock metal gaskets took care of the problems that I was having. I think that it is perfectly fine to reuse those gaskets.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

the paper gaskets are much more prone to leaking,especially if the bolts worked loose.i'd go get some stockers and put them on and you'll be set. and yes it should stop back firing also.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

i meant to say more prone to being burnt out instead of leaking.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Regular

Alright well I am going to pick up some stock gaskets and put them on this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks everyone you have been very helpful.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

I put LT's on back in November and ran into the same problem. When I removed the paper ones (the bolts were also loose) the leak had burned through the passenger side. I replaced it with gaskets that I bought at Autozone designed for our cars. I still had an exhaust leak and figured that it too was the clamps where the Y pipe connected to the headers. I replaced the C clamps with Band Clamps. They look great and stopped the leak from there, however, I still have a noticeable leak somewhere else in the system and can't find it. I'm still searching, so if replacing the gaskets work for you I would like to know. Anymore suggestions from anyone. (Not to take away from adillhoff's question, but I am in the same boat guys) Thanks!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I put the new gasket on and everything is running smoothly. No more backfire or extra noise. Thanks alot for the input everyone.