Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last header related question, I promise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last header related question, I promise

Thank you for all of your help so far. It is almost time to order my headers and Y pipe.

I am going to go with the Pacesetters ceramic coated headers because the QTPs are just too expensive for my college student budget, I want to have a little money left over after all is said and done.

I am thinking about going with the TSP ORY because all Y-Pipes flow the same right? And TSP has a good deal going with the pipe and headers. And from what I can tell all they do is plug in your car and see if you throw any codes here in AZ.

What other parts am I going to need to do the installation my self? I have heard about locking bolts and gaskets, but I want to make sure I have everything before I get the car off the ground and realize I am short something. Also how important is a tune after getting headers put on?

Thanks in advance for any opinions, suggestions, answers and/or advice you can give me. I want to get these things ordered soon so I can put them on over spring break.

~Alex
Old 03-07-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

I don't think the Pacesetter y-pipe will flow as well as the TSP. Personally, I have the Pacesetter Y and there are big dents in it so it will fit under the car with no banging.
So there Y isn not 3 inches throughout, and it still bangs the floorboard.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

if you go to thunderracing.com search in the exhaust department and you'll find a item that will hook to the bottom of your car and connect to your y-pipe, it will keep it from banging
Old 03-07-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

don't use the crappy paper gasket you can re use your stock gaskets and you will be better with those, the paper ones tend to have leaks,same with the bolts. Good luck with those new Headers
Old 03-07-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

So just reuse the tock bolts and gaskets? Sounds too easy Also should I go with the EGR and O2 ones ore the race style?

~Alex

Last edited by LS1Lust; 03-07-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

i would get the ones with emissions fittings in case but it does add about 2 hours on to your install time. i just got done with mine took 11 hours alone, be aware of the passenger side manifold bolts im pretty sure there have been people cry over that last one. get all the bolts loose but the back one and pick your manifold up towards the coil packs and get that bolt from underneath it only took me 2 hours to get that bolt out.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

and yes i do recommend you get GM manifold gaskets and the air and egr gaskets as well because all of the kit gaskets leak.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

sorry one more thing, as for the pacesetter y-pipe. YES it does bang the floor board even though it is bent up, but it doesnt set off my knock sensors for some reason.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

I will have to see if I can get a little help, Maybe bump it down under the 11 hour mark. I am planing on getting a tune after I get the headers installed so would I still need to get the EGR and O2 compatable headers since I could just have them delete the code for them while I am getting the tune?

~Alex

Last edited by LS1Lust; 03-07-2006 at 05:50 PM.