Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealing Lower Idler Pully

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing Lower Idler Pully

My 98 has LTs and had the AIR system removed before I bought it. The AIR pump is obviously no longer on the car. In it's place is an idler pully, I assume like the ones on the '00-'02 cars. It squeals badly and it looks like I have to replace it. It's not the belt. I tried belt dressing and soap. Nothing helped. I sprayed WD40 directly into the bearing of the pully and it stopped for about 3 days.

This is the lower pully on the passenger side, which drives the secondary sepentine belt.

1) Is my assumption correct that the '00-'02 cars have the idler instead of the AIR pump?

2) Are these pullys prone to squealing?

3) Where can I find a replacement?

Thanks

Last edited by mausc; 03-10-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mausc
My 98 has LTs and had the AIR system removed before I bought it. The AIR pump is obviously no longer on the car. In it's place is an idler pully, I assume like the ones on the '00-'02 cars. It squeals badly and it looks like I have to replace it. It's not the belt. I tried belt dressing and soap. Nothing helped. I sprayed WD40 directly into the bearing of the pully and it stopped for about 3 days.

This is the lower pully on the passenger side, which drives the secondary sepentine belt.

1) Is my assumption correct that the '00-'02 cars have the idler instead of the AIR pump?

2) Are these pullys prone to squealing?

3) Where can I find a replacement?

Thanks
I'm a little confused about all this...The AIR pump is on the drivers side, underneath the headlight assembly.

The location of the pulley your talking about is on the other side of the car.
So the AIR pump removal should have anything to do with the pulley.

My guess here would be, its your tensioner pulley that is squeaking. They tend to do that over time. Get a brand new one, either stock part from GM, or an aftermarket one like Katech. The stock part new from GM isnt too expensise, under $40 if I remember right, and very easy to install.

- Mike
Old 03-10-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought mine, it squealed until it got warmed up. Then it started doing it all the time. The WD-40 would only last a day if that. I just went to the local chevy dealer and got a new idler pulley...they don't sell the pulley with bearing seperate anymore unfortunately and it comes with the spring loaded arm. it was like 95 bucks total. took care of the problem though.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. That certainly seems to be the problem.

I'll hunt down the idler assembly and get it installed.