Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which to choose from QTEC

Old 03-10-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which to choose from QTEC

Ok i was lookin on the website quicktimeperformance.com and not sure if i need the race style without EGR and air fittings or the street legal ones as far as the headers are conserned...I'm gonna get the QTEC y-pipe with the dual cut outs and tryin to figure which of the headers through qtec to get. and are the qtecs as good as they make them out to be? any pointers would be great im kinda stuck at which ones to get. I've been wantin to put some money onto or into the motor and figured this would be a good starting point...thanks for any advise......
Justin
Old 03-10-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i guess im just confused on if i REALLY need the AIR fittings and the EGR stuff...i'm kinda feelin im goin with the QTEC stuff...seems very well built and quality is excelent...but any advise is good too....i dont need any emissions stuff....Alabama is good for one thing...lol. thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need to pass a visual emissions check, get the ones with the air and egr, if you don't you can choose the race headers, (it really cleans up the engine bay to get rid of the tubes) just be aware if you eliminate the air/egr you'll need a tune to get rid of the SES light
Old 03-10-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

u know roughly about what a "tune" costs? can u fix this with LS1edit or a programmer....or is it best to get it all like dyno tuned by a pro to get the best performance out of the parts? so the only problem id have with the NON EGR/AIR ones is the SES light will stay on? cause that wouldnt really bother me for the time being...as long as it will run like it's suppose to and wont rich out or lean out...because of the motor not readin the sensors or whatever like they should if this is what they do...cause i honestly do not know what the purpose in the EGR and AIR is.....but thanks for the input....
Old 03-11-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A tune can cost up to $500, (mail order is cheaper, $150-$300 but you have to send your PCM in and can't drive the car) but if you're just doing the headers, it's likely you wont need a tune, it'll run rich for a while, but usually after about 200 miles the PCM will adjust the air fuel ratio (if you do need a tune, try one of the mail order tunes, they can get pretty close to what's needed) as for doing it yourself, if you have (or know someone) with the tuning software, you can have it done bt them, and yes if you want the light to go out, you'll need to get the codes removed by a tuner
The purpose of the air and egr is just emissions control, really has nothing to do with the basic operation of the engine

Search this Thread