Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any TB porting horror stories out there???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any TB porting horror stories out there???

I'm thinking about porting out my TB and just wondering if anyone has had anything go wrong before I mess mine up. I've read all the how to's and I think I'm going to try it. What optional stuff (filing the throttle blades, cutting the shaft, etc.) did you do and did you actually feel a difference? thanks.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Teching In

I guess it is that easy.........and I'm just scared, huh?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

it did mine w/ no prob....followed some directions that are floating around here somewhere. I was able to feel a gain in throttle response. I didnt expoxy, seems like more trouble than its worth.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just be careful that you dont take off any material where the blade closes.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Funny you should ask. Yesterday at work I was finishing up the porting half and took a little too much off. Put a whole bout the size of this "0" in the t/b. Luckily we have a pretty decent welder/fabricator at work and he filled it in with no problems. Just be careful there are two spots that will wear very thin if you dont take your time. Other than that minor set back, not too hard at all. Lots of sanding. Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Default re:

Originally Posted by agrV8dta
Funny you should ask. Yesterday at work I was finishing up the porting half and took a little too much off. Put a whole bout the size of this "0" in the t/b. Luckily we have a pretty decent welder/fabricator at work and he filled it in with no problems. Just be careful there are two spots that will wear very thin if you dont take your time. Other than that minor set back, not too hard at all. Lots of sanding. Hope this helps!
Which spots are those you speak of, I'm going to do this mod this week and I dont want to screw up my TB.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't ruin my self-ported TB, but power gains were terrible, as was my idle...
Unless you have a CNC machine, you're gonna spend countless hrs polishing it...it'll drive you nuts...

Do yourself a favor and send it to New Era Performance. It's like $85 shipped, ported to your door...perfect finish too, and no problems..... I wish I have done that earlier...
Old 03-15-2006, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

I was very underwhelmed by the workmanship from Lingenfelter when I ordered one from them. It was basically a good start, but I had to finish it myself and would have been better off just doing the whole thing myself.

I had already done the throttle stop mod on my original TB anyway. The ported TB did flow more air, but that just pushed me into knock retard. By the time I richened it and pulled spark to kill the knock, I was back to making the same power as before but burning more gas to do it.

All in all, porting the throat wasn't really worth the trouble. The stop mod alone, which I did several years earlier, along with a lid, catback, and tuning got me to 328~330 rwhp, and the ported TB didn't really add any to the peak or area under the curve. It WOULD have added a little (like I said, it did flow more air) if not for the $#@$# knock.

There are two keys to hand porting. 1) Mark a line in front of the blade with a sharpie, and never cut that line. 2) Don't rush, and NEVER hold the dremel in one spot. Keep it moving at all times with almost no pressure and make very light cuts. Don't try to hog it all out at once. If you think of it as whittling a piece of wood, you are going for very long thin shavings, not big chunks.

Last edited by sgarnett; 03-15-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second the vote for New Era. Price seems reasonable for what I recieved. Quicker throttle response was nice, too.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Default new era

3rd vote for new era mike is the man! you cant beat $ 85 with super fast turnaround. Plus his customer service is as good as it gets!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Teching In

I just like messing around with this kinda of stuff.......I'd like to tell people I ported it myself..........
Old 03-15-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

but that won't mean that the car will yield better results....one thing is to be proud that you did something yourself, and the other is whether the mod that you did yourself will actualy perform better....and good chance is that it will not.... unless you spend a LOT of time on detailing and finishing....and the stuf
f you need to buy for it.... two types of sand paper, dremmel, epoxy, drills, etc....
but suit yourself....
Old 03-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Teching In

What will new era do for $85? Do they fill in the IAC and PCV holes? Was it ready to bolt right up? And what do you all think about the throttle stop mod, knife edging the blade, and cutting the shaft? I'm starting to lean toward sending it off to get it done.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

its $75 from new era....

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...V=tbportcf%7C0
Old 03-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Formula X - two holes in the t/b that sit above the blade for pcv and iac sensor it looks like there is quite a bit of material to remove on the outside of the holes, but if you look on the outside of the t/b it is actually pretty thin. Just go easy on those spots and the rest should be cake. Also I didn't use a filler, just ported and sanded.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

.....also, if I had to do it all over again I would send it off to get done by someone else it wasnt as quick and easy as I thought it would be. Just my $.02
Old 03-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Teching In

I'm going to just send mine off to New Era...........it looks like they dont cut the shaft so I might do that when I get it back. Also the throttle stop mod. Thanks for you alls help.