Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting the FAST Intake around the Injector

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Porting the FAST Intake around the Injector

Question for those of you that are knowledgable in porting the FAST intake, what did you do around the injector-pocket area?

Did you smooth out that ledge and blend it so the runner has a nice smooth transition across the injector and into the roof of the head-port? Or is smoothing/radiusing that injector pocket a no-no?

Obviously I'm not talking about removing material & weakening the area where the injector snaps in-place, but the ledge prior to that looks like it could be smoothed and contoured to allow the airflow to sweep across this area - and eliminate an eddy in the roof of the head-port..... Or is this (believed) dead-flow pocket needed for proper fuel atomization into the airstream (ie, prevents too much fueling from being picked up and carried across the roof of the port)?

Thanks for any help !
Old 03-20-2006, 05:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt???
Old 03-23-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the top
Old 03-23-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Appreciate the bump.

I'm really surprised that this hasn't gotten any response whatsoever. Without offending anyone, its starting to feel like the longtime regulars & gurus here on LS1tech are starting to post less and less frequently. Could it be because of the 'search' problem, and too many of us are re-hashing problems long discussed before? Or are some folk just "moving on" and away from the LS1 scene? Just some idle thoughts.

Nevertheless, still lookin' for some good feedback on the porting question above!
Old 03-23-2006, 08:03 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02RedHawk
Appreciate the bump.

I'm really surprised that this hasn't gotten any response whatsoever. Without offending anyone, its starting to feel like the longtime regulars & gurus here on LS1tech are starting to post less and less frequently. Could it be because of the 'search' problem, and too many of us are re-hashing problems long discussed before? Or are some folk just "moving on" and away from the LS1 scene? Just some idle thoughts.

Nevertheless, still lookin' for some good feedback on the porting question above!
I was wondering the same thing (about the posting), it seems the search feature being down has hit us very hard. New questions are few and far between these days, so the "guru" people don't even bother checking it out, because they'd rather let us n3wbs tell people which headers to buy. I've got a fast/nw 90 on the way to my house right now and plan on porting it also.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Granted, there are still several taking the time to help us out... Tony Mamo, Predator-Z, just to name a couple off the top of my head.

Still, I think I now actually miss those days where a "fresh" posting only an hour old would be found on page-3 due to all of the traffic flow.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt for the last time. Still lookin' for some assistance!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Add Me To The Want To Know List
Old 04-07-2006, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

yeah stuff always dies off, i am a guru on toyota matrix forums, but never frequent anymore because no one is faster then my slow **** matrix on those forums not to mention all the reposts of useless information, sorry to hijack, but i have no experience with fast intakes and porting them, what about calling fast themselves? and talking to a tech person

http://www.fuelairspark.com/

just go to contact us and talk to a techy
Old 04-07-2006, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Could the poster or anyone interested, look at some of THESE PICS to refrence what exactly your talking about.
I'm in the process of porting mine, but havn't considered anything beyone the little widgit that everybody grinds down.
If need be I can take some closer pics and post em to help you point out what your refering to.

DJ
Old 04-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Teching In

i went ahead and blended mine it just seemed logical that it would help
Old 04-07-2006, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

I had the same issues, nobody has good info/pictures. I ended up porting and blending the ports and JB welded the cracks. I also got alittle over zelous on the thin piece that keeps the rubber gasket in for the top shell and had to JB Weld that so no red gasket was showing from inside the port.(If you ported you know)
Old 04-07-2006, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

Hey dirty John, anyway you can post the pics and show us exactly what you ported? So the asking but have never seen the underside of the intake and not exactly use what or where to port.
It would be great to before and after shots, if possible!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I watched my FAST 90/90 being ported. We didn't go anywhere near the injector pockets. All we did was smooth/blend the intake manifold cylinder head ports. The witness marks FAST casts into the intake manifold cylinder head ports is a pretty slick idea. You come pretty close to the injector pocket when your blending the top half of the port. The injector pockets looked pretty smooth right out of the box, + we were a little nervous about messin' with 'em, so they were left as-is.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mvonada
Hey dirty John, anyway you can post the pics and show us exactly what you ported? So the asking but have never seen the underside of the intake and not exactly use what or where to port.
It would be great to before and after shots, if possible!
Sure thing man, its coming.
If there seems to be interest, well even if theres not.. I'll be posting the whole thing from start to finish. I thought I saw it done here before but I lost track of the thread.
Either way, i've been taking alot of pics and plan on posting the whole thing once I'm done.
Right now, im only grinding down the big chunk that everyone does, not sure what everyone is talkin about with the injector ports.
I'll be working on it alot today and hopefully get some pics up by the end of the week or so.

DJ
Old 04-08-2006, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02RedHawk
Did you smooth out that ledge and blend it so the runner has a nice smooth transition across the injector and into the roof of the head-port? Or is smoothing/radiusing that injector pocket a no-no?
I smoothed the edge and that area you are referring to, but you have to very be careful in that area because how close it is to the injector boss.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

yea i rounded that edge if you take alook at the ls6 manifold it appears (on mine atleast) that gm had more of a smoother transition then the fast did when i did mine i focuses on removing those two lips that seemed to be leftover frm the molding process i also rounded that edge

besides all that i spent sime time just running my fingers arround the manifold in the direction of the air flow and just feeling for any rough transistions

also did anyone happen to blend out theose speedbumps in the top shell i didnt because they looked ot be intentional but was just wonderig

BTW the spot i found to be useful to sand is where the top shell and the lower shell meet up if you feel in there those trnasitions seem pretty crappy

o yea i' ve never ported anything in my life before so act accordingly these are just my opnions on what i thought was a good idea when i did mine