Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Noise I Can't Seem To Figure Out

Old 03-19-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A Noise I Can't Seem To Figure Out

Well, A few weeks ago Chris and I did a heads and cam install. Things went very smoothly and no isseues. A week later a TC was installed and still everything was cool. Cruised down to Orlando and had it retuned on the DYNO and everything went well. Well, on my trip back the car starting making this ticking noise and at first I thought it was a valve train issue, but when I pulled off of the interstate and put the car in park, the noise was hard to hear, almost completely disappeared, so I decided to continue home. Well, about 10 miles down the road the noise came back, so I went ahead and stopped in Jacksonville and checked everything out at David's place. The header/collection pipe bolts were loose, so I tightened them down and I removed the valve covers and checked the rocker arms and springs and everything was tight and in good shape. Well, Joe another buddy listened to it when I got into Savannah and recommended checking the header/collection seal (donut shaped ordeal that goes between the two pipes) and I did and they were bad, so I replaced them. Things seemed to be good for a day and then the noise comes back and I checked things out yesterday, found some plugs with loose tips (NGK TR6s) and one plug that was so loose I could turn it with my fingers, so I took car of that and drove it, for 45 minutes things were great! Then it came back. The noise sounds so much like an exhaust leak, but have been told that it could be a lifter. Before pulling off the heads, anyone have any recommendations on further checking things out?

One more thing...the noise doesn't start until the car is warmed up.

Sorry for the length of this and appreciate the help.

Micah
Old 03-19-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I was out there again, ripping this off of the car and inspecting parts for possible problems and if you have been following my issue (out lined here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...258&forum_id=1 ).

Here are a couple of pictures of my air system tubing valve:

Notice the black residue, this is after I lightly rub my finger on it.

This would sort of explain why I can't hear it at an idle, but when I put load on it. I really wish I knew if this was it. :*****: And I have to wait until the dealership opens tomorrow, because none of the parts stores have it.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to guess to give you a free bump...

Could it be the air check valve (I think that's what its called)? I thought you would see it with a header installation first if it's this. The check valve in your AIR system can't handle the pressure of the increased exhaust flow.

Solution is to either remove the AIR system or use a block off plate with a smaller diameter opening. You can make one from a block off plate by drilling a smaller diameter hole.

This would explain why you don't hear it while it's warming up, because the system is on/pumping and priming your cats. Once it's off, that check valve is supposed to stay closed.

Sorry if I don't have all the equipment/parts names correct, just trying to get you a quick answer.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might try this:
http://riptide63.homestead.com/restrictor.html
Old 03-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Banned

I feel you got it pinned with the air tube leak.. MOST not all lifters are loud at start up. Small exhaust leaks can be a pain..Good job
Old 03-24-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Replaced the gaskets and the header gasket and te noise is still there. I finally just took the car down to the VETTE Shop I deal with from time to time and hope my mechanic can figure it out.

Search this Thread