Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catback at home or Custom True Dual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catback at home or Custom True Dual?

I'm going to be changing my exhaust system very soon I think and I was just wondering what you guys think. I'm going to get Pacesetter LTs at some point anyway, so my choice would be between these two. 1st option is to get a Magnaflow Catback and an ORY and put them in myself(my dad will help too). 2nd option is there is a local car place that has done a lot of custom exhausts. They make a lot of hotrods, but they have also done it on a lot of regular cars. Actually, let me find their site... I'll give you a link... Here it is: http://www.autospecialtyperformance.com/
If I go with them I would get some sort of true dual job done on it, but I don't have much info yet.

I have no idea how much it would cost me to get the custom job done, but if its anywhere near the price of the ORY & Magnaflow (~$600) then I would consider it. I also don't want this dumped over the axle, I want it to go all the way back, I just like the looks of it that way. I don't know how much more that would make it cost. Does anyone have an estimate on how much it should cost to get that done? I'm going to call them or go visit tomorrow I think, but if you know I'd be curious to know what you think before then.

I also want to ask them if they can do the custom job with the stock headers in place, and then later on when I buy my Pacesetter LTs have them re-do it to fit that. I may go that route because that is what I was planning on doing with the Magnaflow(catback first, LTs and ORY later)

Anyway, what do you think? Should I just stick with putting the Magnaflow in at home? Or do you think I should take it in and let these guys put one in for me? What differences will there probably be too?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:35 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True duals all the way. I love mine.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

I think your doing a good thing by asking questions now and not later. There are a million opinions on exhaust systems. For me I wanted Max flow for little money. What I didn't consider was ground clearance and sound quality. I bought the pacesetter lt's, ORY and used the stock cat back with a cutout. I was happy with it except it was too quiet, but a little raspier. So I bought a flowmaster muffler to replace my factory one and found out later that the flowmaster muffler flowed LESS than my factory one and to boot, is louder than I wanted it to be. I looked into adding cats to this setup, but it would be almost impossible since my car is lowered. under axle tailpipes are out of the Q because I Autocross the car and need all the supension movement as possible. BMR Fabrication offers their custom panhard relocation brackets to allow the use of dual over the axle exhaust setups which shoudl be a consideration, depending on how you drive your car, and how much you want to spend will dictate what you choose, im sure. For me, custom duals are too expensive. John Lingenfelter recommended using a free flowing y-pipe and a quality Cat-Back system for the F-body in his book for a street/strip car and suggested just open headers for a strip car. He claimed a dual exhaust is a waste of money on a street/strip car due to the added weight and cost VS the performance. In my opinion, a pair of cutouts under the car for racing, and a good quality cat back would work well for me. I have recieved alot of good news about the hooker cat back being quiet enough for the street on this site with headers/ory/hooker cat back, and that is what im gonna try next.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

I forgot to mention, with true duals for me that would reduce ground clearance alot and that is a major consideration for me because I autocross the car and need all the ground clearance like stock, and I don't want to ruin the fun factor. The fun factor being that I want to be able to floor it anytime I want without attracting the police in my area. (not to mention my neibors). hey im not old, just being cautious.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
True duals all the way. I love mine.
+1
Old 03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, so we have 2 for the true duals and 1 for the catback. I agree with completely with the second part of your second post z28viperkiller, I feel the same way about noise. I'm not old either, but I don't want to attract un-necessary attention, I just want it to sound good for myself. Really loud wouldn't be great either cause I like to listen to music in my car too, so if the exhaust was too loud it would just mess that up. I actually considered Hookers too, but I didn't like the sound quite as much as the Magnaflows(but I only listened to it on ls1sounds.com). The Magnaflow just sounded deeper and more powerful to me, and thats what I like hearing. Would they be overly loud too or are they a little quieter? How would you rate Hookers, Magnaflow and True Duals(not dumped over the axle, but going all the way back) against each other for noisiness? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

catted y pipe and a nice sounding catback.....

offroad sounds like *** IMO
Old 03-21-2006, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Im asking this question too. I also have a stereo system that includes aftermarket speakers, titanium dome tweeters from mb quart and amplifiers to back them up. That is one reason why im here. Im gonna try dynomax super turbo mufflers for the sound and flow.