Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cats

im putting a slp loudmouth cat back system on my ride. I wanted 2 know if taking off the cats would be bad for my engine? please let me know

Last edited by Manny Fresh; 03-20-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you do.. you need a way to turn off the SES light because you will set the rear O2 codes.. use either O2 sims or have someone delete them in the PCM using HP Tuners, LS1 edit...

that loudmouth will sound like *** without cats.. do a search for it.. many people keep the cats with using a loudmouth system
Old 03-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Teching In

thanks 4 the info- I want it to sound loud but were could i get the o2 sims from?And so taking them off wont effect my engine?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no it wont affect the engine.. just sets codes in the PCM.. the rear O2's only measure if the cats are working and have no affect on the AIR/FUEL ratio of the engine tuning.

O2 sims are available at many of the sponsors websites look to the right of these boards and you'll see the sponsors.. ususally they are 75-90$ per pair..

i would also pose the question to the guys with the loudmouth.. how they liked it with no cats... most will say its too raspy with no cats..
Old 03-20-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

Dont Take The Cats Off - It Sounds Like ****!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

It shouldn't hurt your motor, I would get a tune though. I installed the LM exhaust two years ago, and it kept burning my o2s, and eventually my cats. So I installed Lts with ory, about a month ago, only to get rid of the cats and o2 problems. When you do take them off though, your car will more than likely run rich, especially with the LM. And yes, GR33N GoblinM6, it is too raspy without cats, especially for a 2.73 A4; low rpm. I personally wouldn't do it though, unless you plan on making some serious hp in the future. Honestly, the more I hear my car the more i dislike the sound. I'm getting a tune this weekend so I'll see how much hp it has, to determine if I'm getting rid of the LM.

The other reason I put the ory and lts on my car, is because i'm going backwards, instead of putting a cam and heads on it first.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

GUT them it will sould great, I gutted my cats with LM and LOVED it, got a set of used Shorty headers and it sound even BETTER, I bet the majority of people who bash LM w/out cats NEVER heard it just go by what they read, I did it and LOVE it try and find someone who has it, exhaust is all a matter of opinion but I LOVE it, if you want it loud and raw you will like it
On a side note ive had the setup for around a year and have only gotten complements on it, not one person has said its raspy or sounds like crap
Old 03-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Default thanks alot

thanks 4 all the advice guys