Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hp difference in crush bent vs. mandrel

Old 03-21-2006, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hp difference in crush bent vs. mandrel

well i have a set of qtp headers begging to be installed on my car, but i can't decide on the rest of the exhaust. i know that keeping the loudmouth won't sound good (i've heard it in person) so its either ory and some kind of muffler to replace the resonator or true duals. i know a guy who can do 2.5" td's out the back for just slightly more money as a qtp ory and replacing the resonator. but how well will crush bent duals flow? the guy has done this setup on a '94 Z28 and it is the nicest over axel setup i've seen. i'm planing on 2.5" orx and sweet thunders, i know that will sound hella sweet! but will i gain any hp over the lm setup?
Old 03-21-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crush bends suck and will never find their way onto my car! A crush bent 2.5" true dual exhaust will flow worse than a 3" single exhaust. If the search button would pull up older posts, I'd show you dyno's of significant gains going from a crush bent TD, to a single y-pipe.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Crush bends suck and will never find their way onto my car! A crush bent 2.5" true dual exhaust will flow worse than a 3" single exhaust. If the search button would pull up older posts, I'd show you dyno's of significant gains going from a crush bent TD, to a single y-pipe.

+1.....mandrel bent all the way.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Please substantiate this with evidence. As for the dyno comparisons, there may be another factor coming into play here. Perhaps the center of the X pipe narrows down to a single 2.5" pipe thus creating the restriction. If that were the case, its due to a faulty X pipe and it wouldnt matter if it were using mandrel bends.

Here are the calculated areas assuming a .065 wall thickness

Single 3" pipe has an area of 6.466 sq. in.
Mandrel 2.5 True duals have a combined area of 8.819 sq. in.
Crush bent 2.5 x 2" oval tubing True Duals have a combined area of 6.958 sq. in.

As you can see, crush bent true duals have a half sq. in. more area than a single 3" mandrel bent pipe, not to mention you still get the scavanging effect from the X or H pipe.

If you have the means, I still highly suggest mandrel bends, however, they wont choke you out as bad as it might seem.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the replies. some dyno comparisons would help, but guitsboy has some good info. i could try to buy some pre bent pipe and have it done with that, but i'm not sure if he would go for it, it might be harder to fab up like that. i'm sure it would be more expensive too. i want duals mainly for sound, but i don't want a dumped setup. if anybody else has any info or dyno numbers please let me know asap.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Please substantiate this with evidence. As for the dyno comparisons, there may be another factor coming into play here. Perhaps the center of the X pipe narrows down to a single 2.5" pipe thus creating the restriction. If that were the case, its due to a faulty X pipe and it wouldnt matter if it were using mandrel bends.

Here are the calculated areas assuming a .065 wall thickness

Single 3" pipe has an area of 6.466 sq. in.
Mandrel 2.5 True duals have a combined area of 8.819 sq. in.
Crush bent 2.5 x 2" oval tubing True Duals have a combined area of 6.958 sq. in.

As you can see, crush bent true duals have a half sq. in. more area than a single 3" mandrel bent pipe, not to mention you still get the scavanging effect from the X or H pipe.

If you have the means, I still highly suggest mandrel bends, however, they wont choke you out as bad as it might seem.
If the search button would pull up older threads I would. I have seen many dyno's where guys have gained significant hp when going from crush bent TD's, to a good y-pipe setup. Area doesn't tell the whole story. Don't forget about the turbulance and associated energy/hp loss that crush bends cause. It sounds like you are more concerned with sound than power, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may make a little better power with a good y-pipe setup or mandrel bent TD's, but it shouldn't hurt you too bad.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't forget about the turbulance and associated energy/hp loss that crush bends cause.
This is true. However ive seen people gain going TO crush bent duals from a loud mouth. The dyno dosnt necessarily tell the whole story anyway, I recently gained 16 RWHP simply by doing three consecutive back to back pulls. No changes were made to the car. Go figure.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Would a crush bent 2.75" or 3" true dual flow as well if not better than a 2.5" true dual mandrel bent?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

I started with crush bent 2.5" duals dumped when I put on my Pacesetters. I went from 13.62 @103 to 12.98 @ 107.7. My butt-meter told me I gained a lot as well. I think I did pretty good and I doubt I would have gained much more with mandrel bent. Now I have mandrel bent to the mufflers and crush bent behind. I'll fix it some day, but it works for now. And I can always take the pipes off behind the mufflers and run mandrel/dumped if I want to be really LOUD.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

i don't think crush bent true duals would show a noticeable loss in performance compared to a mandrel bent setup. simply because there really aren't that many sharp bends in a GOOD true dual setup.

i think the only time you MIGHT see a difference would be a sloppy 3" crush bent true dual system (+ x pipe) vs. a mandrel bent 3" (+ x) over the axle comparison.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Launching!

do you think a larger diameter crush bent setup would equal that of a smaller mandrel bent setup tohugh? I'm thinking of going 2.75" crush bent vs. 2.5" mandrel bent
Old 05-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Launching!

Bump, I'm still curious
Old 05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MDoe8
do you think a larger diameter crush bent setup would equal that of a smaller mandrel bent setup tohugh? I'm thinking of going 2.75" crush bent vs. 2.5" mandrel bent
Just do mandrel bends, then you won't have to worry about it! Do it the right way the first time.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just buy a TSP true dual system with sweet thunders. that, i believe is mandrel bent and only costs $400. then, just have the exhaust shop cut off the turndowns, weld pipe onto it and bring it out the back. problem solved. prolly be a hella cheaper too.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry if im stealing the thread, but what exactly are the definitions of a mandrel and crush bend.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Launching!

mandrel bend maintains the perfect (for example) 2.5" diameter all the way through. A crush bent is just that, crushed. It's like taking a hose and putting a kink in it, only it just blocks off a minimum amount of diameter on our setups.

Anyone have any other input on the power difference between a 2.5 mandrel and a 2.75 crush?

-Mike
Old 06-12-2006, 08:45 AM
That's what she said...

My system has crush bends after the bullets, you can see pics in my signature. It's 3" crush bent, so it flows plenty.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned

i have mandrel bent true duals over the axels.

I paid a kings ransom for it.. but i LOOOOOOOOOVE IT SOOOOO MUCH!
Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

Personally I dont see how this is even a question. Mandrel bent all the way. Just buy the universal x pipe kit and have it made to fit.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Well, my ecxhaust has to be custom made anyway. It's not going on an fbody. There is no such thing as true duals on my car that aren't custom. I know someone who can make it wth crush bends for dirt cheap, that's all.

-Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hp difference in crush bent vs. mandrel