Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a new exhaust. True Duals vs. y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I want a new exhaust. True Duals vs. y-pipe

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=196&catid=20

I am thinking about getting this. But in hawaii you have to have exhaust pipes that are visible. I want to take these out the back w/cats. Whats the best way? I will be getting longtubes.

I have stock manifolds and y-pipe with a magnaflow catback right now. If I stick with the y-pipe design I will still get longtubes and catted y-pipe.

I know the y-pipe is easier and cheaper but what about ground clearence.

My car is lowered with eibach springs.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

basically, true duals = no clearance 3-4 inches d/s pipe to ground
headers and y-pipe = not too shabby ground clearance 4-6 inches d/s pipe to ground

true duals took the fun out of driving around, slopes, driveways, bumps, all scraped the crap out of the pipes.

y-pipe, no worries
Old 03-23-2006, 10:54 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TSP duals can be tucked well. How well depends on HOW LOW your car is.

With enough work, determination, and a big enough hammer, i got the TSP duals riding high and dry under my car. I got tired of the loudness inside the car, so i had them ran out the back. I also had cats put on, but that's optional. I had the cats put in the system to make it VERY quiet (sleeperishness, inspection, my poor ole neighbors). It has a great tone, and all together cost me less than a y-pipe setup with a nice catback.

Check the link in my sig for a bunch of pictures on what i did, before and after. Theres also some videos as well. The 2 videos at the track are without the cats/extensions though. Pages 2 and 3 of the thread have some more pictures also.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The TSP duals can be tucked well. How well depends on HOW LOW your car is.

With enough work, determination, and a big enough hammer, i got the TSP duals riding high and dry under my car. I got tired of the loudness inside the car, so i had them ran out the back. I also had cats put on, but that's optional. I had the cats put in the system to make it VERY quiet (sleeperishness, inspection, my poor ole neighbors). It has a great tone, and all together cost me less than a y-pipe setup with a nice catback.

Check the link in my sig for a bunch of pictures on what i did, before and after. Theres also some videos as well. The 2 videos at the track are without the cats/extensions though. Pages 2 and 3 of the thread have some more pictures also.
I bookmarked your thread.

I like your setup but I don't like the tips. I would probably go with the magnaflow tips that came with my catback.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:47 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
I bookmarked your thread.

I like your setup but I don't like the tips. I would probably go with the magnaflow tips that came with my catback.
My tips are actually magnaflows, but i just couldn't put regular ole' round slash cut's on it. The Camaro felt like it needed something ovaled to go with the roundedness of the *** of the car itself.

Actually i don't like tips period, but i like them better than a raw 3" pipe sticking out the back!
Old 03-24-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
My tips are actually magnaflows, but i just couldn't put regular ole' round slash cut's on it. The Camaro felt like it needed something ovaled to go with the roundedness of the *** of the car itself.

Actually i don't like tips period, but i like them better than a raw 3" pipe sticking out the back!
Slash-cut rolled tips would be sexxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a reason to go with the TSP package vs. anything else...

Old 03-24-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

put a cutout in the I pipe thats what i have and with pacesetters and offroad Y its nice and loud for me, cant wait to hear my car when i get a cam this summer lol
Old 03-24-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tucked away nicely...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

I have custom made x-pipe duels over axle with longtube headers and not once have I heard them scrap the ground, I just depends on how well you tuck them under your car
Old 03-24-2006, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Here you go. This is mine. You can have true duals and still have clearance. My LTs are the lowest out of my entire exhaust. The video clip in my sig will give you an idea of what it sounds like.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...stom+true+dual
Old 03-24-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just got my TSP Duals, havent got on yet. But just stay away from SLP long tubes, mine hit now at stock ride height.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

TheBlurLS1 how quiet do you mean? I am going to do a set up like yours or DVSST8 and am going to need to put on cats so there are less inspection problmes. I know true duals are loud as hell but does it still sound badass with cats on? Are you happy with the sound? How loud is it compared to lets say a loudmouth exhaust now, if you have heard the LM. Sorry for hi-jacking thread.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01bird58
TheBlurLS1 how quiet do you mean? I am going to do a set up like yours or DVSST8 and am going to need to put on cats so there are less inspection problmes. I know true duals are loud as hell but does it still sound badass with cats on? Are you happy with the sound? How loud is it compared to lets say a loudmouth exhaust now, if you have heard the LM. Sorry for hi-jacking thread.
Check out the thread I posted a couple of slots up. Its got pics of my true dual with high flow cats, and a video in my sig, where you can listen to what it sounds like.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Doomsday...are my eyes deceiving me or does it say you have 398rwhp with those mods? What size cam are you running?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by W8S SS
Doomsday...are my eyes deceiving me or does it say you have 398rwhp with those mods? What size cam are you running?
He also has an ls6 intake stock. So whatever he makes is gonna me plus about 20hp over what you make with the same setup.

The ls6 intake makes a big difference w/cam over ls1 intake w/cam from what I've been reading.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SS:ZEUS
Here you go. This is mine. You can have true duals and still have clearance. My LTs are the lowest out of my entire exhaust. The video clip in my sig will give you an idea of what it sounds like.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...stom+true+dual
Ok. So here is what we are gonna do.

I'm gonna paypal you 200bucks and you send me that setup. I put on my longtubes that I'm gonna order.

Then I send you my entire stock exhaust system manifolds on back and including my magnaflow catback.

Deal?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
Ok. So here is what we are gonna do.

I'm gonna paypal you 200bucks and you send me that setup. I put on my longtubes that I'm gonna order.

Then I send you my entire stock exhaust system manifolds on back and including my magnaflow catback.

Deal?
Let me think about it...........okay no.

Quick Reply: I want a new exhaust. True Duals vs. y-pipe