Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Hard Evidence on Value of Aftermarket Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:06 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any Hard Evidence on Value of Aftermarket Plug Wires

I skeptical about something, and that is the value added by aftermarket plug wires. I'm an electronics engineer by day and a gearhead too. I can tell you that with short-run secondary ignition wires like the LS1 engines have, there is probably very little voltage drop or spark energy reduction at the plug with the factory wires. I like the appearance of aftermarket wires and most designs are technically superior, but do they really gain any appreciable amount of horsepower over the stock wires?

Steve
Old 03-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Launching!

The only advantage of the aftermarket plug wires is that you can relocate the coils. Other than that, there is really no advantage. Unless of course someone can give some ab dyno results.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MSURacing
The only advantage of the aftermarket plug wires is that you can relocate the coils. Other than that, there is really no advantage. Unless of course someone can give some ab dyno results.
ditto, the factory ignition system is pretty darn good, including wires.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

i needed aftermarket wires to stop misfiring (before cam, manifold, tb)

I was told that if you have 4.10s, you need bigger wires. I was gonna get them anyway and was glad that it was a small problem. They don't add any significant hp, but supply the juice you need because of other mods. Change one thing and a list of things follow
Old 03-24-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could buying 4.10 gears cause the engine to rev faster, and in some way it needs a lower resistance wire?

Electricity moves at a VERY VERY fast pace and I don't think a change in engine acceleration rate is going to neccesitate a better wire.
But what do I know?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

i would think that a wire with a much lower resistance would actually see a gain but if its close to stock then no. in most cases the wires are just too short for it to be a problem. i would say when u go and change your set out, break out an ohm meter and measure the stockers vs the new aftermarkets.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up cheap upgrade, why not??

yes, aftermarket wires like msd offer lower resistance and yes 4.10's rev up faster, especially with a cam. Your top speed gets cut off, as does the top end hp, but it's very driveable and well worth the quick revs.

I was getting a misfire code until i upgraded the wires.

Everything goes hand in hand, want a cam: get bigger oil pump...etc
Old 03-24-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't remember the numbers offhand as it's been a few years but my MSD's had noticeable lower ohm reading than my 02 16K mile stockers.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:04 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

The insulation on aftermarket wires might not break down as quickly as the OEM wires. Insulation break down is what causes misfires, especially in humid conditions and when the plug wire runs in close proximity to the engine (shorter path to ground). However, the plug wires have to be pretty good from the factory to carry the high voltage/high energy spark or they would give a lot of trouble (misfire codes, etc.) which they don't. Now, removing and replacing the wires a lot (like the enthusiast community is prone to do) does damage the wires physically a little bit each time and that causes insulation or conductor breakdown.

However, all of this is speculation and opinion on my part and everyone else's. I'm curious to know if anyone can show the results (dyno graph) of a controlled test showing the improvement of aftermarket wires versus new OEM wires in good condition. I just don't think that they could be much better, but I'm open minded. I can tell you that the various types of "mega" wires for stereo speakers and as primary wire to electrical devices is overkill in most cases.

Steve
Old 03-24-2006, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the reason i bought taylor thundervolts was because they are a nice looking wire and a quality piece. the gm stuff, while it might be great for everyday use and 98% of people, just look skimpy to me.

it was one of those "while i was at it" things when i did the headers. no regrets, but probably not necessary if you dont have $70 to spare.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lower resistance means two things:
a. the spark occurs sooner because the secondary circuit is inductive, and resistance slows down the current ramp up.
b. the max current will be higher.

Does this make more torque/power...?

I wonder if CC, CHP, GMHTP, or Hot Rod have done a dyno test on plug wires...?
Old 03-25-2006, 03:25 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Originally Posted by joecar
Lower resistance means two things:
a. the spark occurs sooner because the secondary circuit is inductive, and resistance slows down the current ramp up.
b. the max current will be higher.

Does this make more torque/power...?

I wonder if CC, CHP, GMHTP, or Hot Rod have done a dyno test on plug wires...?
Lower resistance results in more current flowing through the wire and across the spark gap in the plug resulting in more energy. However, if the energy released across the gap of the plug is only 3 or 6 percent higher (this is an unknown to me), what is the additional benefit, if any? Also, the added resistance in the wires does not slow the velocity of the electrons flowing through the wires. For all intents and purposes, electricity flows through the air or through wires at approximately the speed of light (186,000 miles per second) regardless of the resistance. Resistance consumes power and thus reduces current which in turn reduces voltage to the plugs.

Your questions about making more HP and Torque and has reputable dyno testing been done to verify this are the crux of my question.

I've replaced tired, worn plug wires (and distributor cap and rotor for that matter) with high dollar aftermarket versions in the past . . . more than once in fact. I've even installed aftermarket coils on a couple of older vehicles. But in a well designed coil over plug design like the LS1 series has (individual high-output coils with short-run wires to each plug) I truly question the benefit. I'm open to being wrong, but I'm really unsure of the benefit.

Steve
Old 03-25-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's no way that changing to 4:10 gears affects your wires what so ever.You probably had issues with your wires to begin with and even putting on stock gm replacement wires probably would of cured your issue.There's people with 500+ horse power running just fine with stock wires and coils.So who ever said you need bigger wires with 4:10's doesnt know what he's talking about.That would be like changing to an Asp pulley or lighter flywheel and having to change you wires because you have a faster revving motor.Not true.

I have Msd's simply because of the price and looks.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Other than looks, OEM wires are almost always 'better' than aftermarket wires. The aftermarket wire may have lowers resistance, by a couple k ohms, but that is a pretty small amount when you are dealing with the kind of voltage that modern ignition systems put out. I believe some newer systems are also capable of over .25amps.

In my experience in the field I have never seen any aftermarket wire last nearly as long as an OEM wire. Most OEMs will go 100k or more.