Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Induction

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 04:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Induction

I really want to buy eithe SLP's cold air kit or the FTRA but one thing is keeping me back... I live on a dirt road! From my understanding, these kits pull all their air from underneath the car. So would that be a NO NO for me?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:04 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up use a furnace filter

I have ram air, but still considered fabricating something like the cold air kit to bring more airflow to my engine to cool the manifold.

Large debris should not fly up into the air induction unit 'cause of it's upward angle. If you live where there is a lot of dust in the air,(az or some desert) you will have to clean your k&N frequently.(assuming your z28 doesn't have ram air)

I'd save up for an ss hood and ramair if you don't have it. you won't have to worry about debris because air has to go around a baffle.

Like the title says, though: if your worried about dust getting in, get a furnace filter($3). it is low restriction and will keep dust out
Old 03-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Launching!

I am getting the ultra Z hood here soon, what do ya think I should do then?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

I got the cold air kit and i have a pretty long gravel driveway and i do have to clean my air filter often.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Yea, not looking forward to that
Old 03-27-2006, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Ran FRA while living on a gravel road(2mile) for a year or so. You will have to clean it alot, but I say, still worth it!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would move.....
Old 03-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Launching!

I have the SLP CAI. Since installing, it has required periodic filter cleaning due to increased debris buildup in the filter. No big deal really, just clean and re-oil the filter each time I change the oil.

However, I live in AZ (sort of) and the heat radiated up from the road surface in the summer unfortunately makes the CAI not "cold" anymore. Also, the SLP CAI does block a fair amount of the radiator/condenser opening, and if you do any type of roadracing or HPDE's, you will become more concerned about your engine temps.

The SLP CAI works, but there are other kits out there that draw the air in without blocking the radiator opening. Also, to prevent large debris (like newspaper or paper bags) from becoming stuck in the radiator or CAI, you should place some mesh screen over the air opening. More than once I've had to "throw the caution flag for debris" after I caught a bag or paper trash in my radiator opening and watched the temp gage climb.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Launching!

well I am planning on getting the ultra z hood so would it even be worth it?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

I can't think of what the ultra z hood looks like, but if it has a scoop then it will make a diff without the cold air kit. Ram air will draw air outside of the engine as well, but will not collect debris because of the height and the baffle theair has to go through.

If I am thinking of the right hood, it has a single scoop and a heat extractor behind it, you shouldn't have to worry about either on dusty roads.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Launching!

The Ultra Z hood is a forward facing opening - you'll still have to clean the filter more periodically than normal, but the plus side is the opening is higher up than the SLP CAI setup, so you'll not have to worry too much about hot air directly off of the pavement.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:30 AM
Launching!

I guess I confused you guys... With the Ultra Z, should I even bother with a CAI? Would that cause too much turbulance with air coming in from two directions? Sorry for the misunderstanding, thanks guys.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

K & N filter is the answer for dirt roads, easy to clean and work well.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Default Hoods vs. Ram Air Kits

Guys... ram air hoods will not improve your performance other than the weight savings. The hoods contain baffles, drain holes and usually do not even seal to the intake box. To top it all off, the actual scoop is way too low and sits in the boundry area where air is deflected off the front bumper and touches the car again at the base of the windshield. That is exactly why in the muscle car era, manufacturers went to cowl induction.

To further illustrate the point, take a look at any NHRA top fuel car. The hood scoop sits WAY up in the air. That's where it needs to be.

If you want to see a performance improvement, go with the FTRA. It has a proven track record and will even give you better fuel economy. I have the Ultra hood on my own car and I love the look but testing has shown no performance improvement.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im using the SLP lid and stock air filter.. didnt notice a difference from the K&N or the stock filter..
Old 03-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Launching!

You should not get any turbulance. Because of the screen on the mass air sensor. That is what it was put there for to straighten out the air flow.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Guys... ram air hoods will not improve your performance other than the weight savings. The hoods contain baffles, drain holes and usually do not even seal to the intake box. To top it all off, the actual scoop is way too low and sits in the boundry area where air is deflected off the front bumper and touches the car again at the base of the windshield. That is exactly why in the muscle car era, manufacturers went to cowl induction.

To further illustrate the point, take a look at any NHRA top fuel car. The hood scoop sits WAY up in the air. That's where it needs to be.

If you want to see a performance improvement, go with the FTRA. It has a proven track record and will even give you better fuel economy. I have the Ultra hood on my own car and I love the look but testing has shown no performance improvement.
Would not removing the baffles help also I see your point about not getting much improvement but when going over 100 MPH I would think the hood would do some good. Just a thought.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Hey guys, I have the same hood as this fella.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/694575

Does anyone know what exactly I need to do to convert my stock lid to what he has. Also is it gonna make a difference?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Launching!

actually you have a different one, thats what they call the twin turbo z or something like that... I am gettin SLP's Ultra Z hood, close but not exactly
Old 03-31-2006, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hood are not going to do anything, there is a reason why a SS camaro with "ram air" is just as fast as a z28, come one now save the money on the hood and just get a FTRA or a custom set up. The thing to remember is to seal it up right or else it is just a waste of time and money.