Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i need a catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do i need a catch can?

I noticed that my TA seems to spit black **** out of the exhaust a little, it leaves little marks behind the car on my driveway, my question is, is it spitting out oil or what? I'm wondering if i need a catch can or something. Its got patriot heads and a .585 lift cam.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's unburned fuel and water - a catch can won't help. Have you had it tuned?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaddySS
That's unburned fuel and water - a catch can won't help. Have you had it tuned?
I was thinking that might be the case, it has cats so that explains the water, it is tuned but it was tuned rich for "safety" so i think i'm gonna get it dyno tuned and leaned out some. Prolly gonna get rid of the cats too. What's a good bullet style muffer to use in place of cats to keep the car a little less loud?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by White95TA
I was thinking that might be the case, it has cats so that explains the water, it is tuned but it was tuned rich for "safety" so i think i'm gonna get it dyno tuned and leaned out some. Prolly gonna get rid of the cats too. What's a good bullet style muffer to use in place of cats to keep the car a little less loud?
Why do cats explain there being water present?

I agree black smoke generally indicates unbrunt fuel or soot. Oil would be blue smoke.

a catch can works with the PVC system where oil is forced out of the crankcase breather and back into the throttle body. The oil would then be vaporised during combustion. But you are only talking small amounts of oil in most cases.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Why do cats explain there being water present?

I agree black smoke generally indicates unbrunt fuel or soot. Oil would be blue smoke.

a catch can works with the PVC system where oil is forced out of the crankcase breather and back into the throttle body. The oil would then be vaporised during combustion. But you are only talking small amounts of oil in most cases.
Cats explain the water because the cat turns the pollutants in your exhaust into water. That's the checmical reaction that occurs inside the cat.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by White95TA
Cats explain the water because the cat turns the pollutants in your exhaust into water. That's the checmical reaction that occurs inside the cat.
I think you may be mis-informed on that one. Water in your exhuast is due to many things I would guess water vapour from the intake air for one as well as condensation due to vehicles being exposed to the environment. But cats do not produce water.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you have been mis-informed. Go to this website: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question66.htm read the part that says "The catalyst helps to convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. It converts the hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water"
Old 03-29-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

ok water vapour is a by-product (I had to re-read the blurb on RT's website). But that doesn't mean it's fully the cats doing it as the chemicals for water (H20) were already present.

Water/steam (water vapour) are present in non catalytic cars, trust me I know as cats were not mandatory in the UK until 1993 so lots of cars don't have them. My TR7 V8 doesn't have cats but on a damp/colder morning a vast quantity of steam is present at sart up and until the engine has warmed up a bit.

I also had a V12 Jaguar without cats (sold it just before Christams last year), I removed the rear silencers on it one time and the drivers side one was full of water, this was not rain water either or from fording deep water it must have originated from the exhuast gases.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
ok water vapour is a by-product (I had to re-read the blurb on RT's website). But that doesn't mean it's fully the cats doing it as the chemicals for water (H20) were already present.

Water/steam (water vapour) are present in non catalytic cars, trust me I know as cats were not mandatory in the UK until 1993 so lots of cars don't have them. My TR7 V8 doesn't have cats but on a damp/colder morning a vast quantity of steam is present at sart up and until the engine has warmed up a bit.

I also had a V12 Jaguar without cats (sold it just before Christams last year), I removed the rear silencers on it one time and the drivers side one was full of water, this was not rain water either or from fording deep water it must have originated from the exhuast gases.
That's fine man, i'm not going to argue, i just wanted to make sure you knew that water is a by-product of cats.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just a FYI for you guys, when i took my cats off, the moisture in my exhaust reduced to almost none.