Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet Thunder or Stainless works on a Loud Mouth

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sweet Thunder or Stainless works on a Loud Mouth

I don't think this has been done on a F-body yet if so i couldnt find any post's or thread's using the search functions So before you TTT me go look for yourself because all i could find was a few mentions of doing it or people curious about it but none saying they have done it so...
In the next few weeks i am installing a set of QTP Headers with a 3" Catted stainless Y-pipe By Mufflex and i currently have a Loud Mouth and since it is already almost unbearable cruising on the Highway at around 80 Mph i know it is going to get much worse with the QTP's installed on the car.
Most of my driving is Highway cruising at about 500 miles a week
I like the idea of the Loud Mouth straight through design but after hearing GMMG i have been toying with the idea of either installing or trying to make a system similar system out of my current L.M. system with either
A. just adding one chambered 24" long muffler inplace of the Loud Mouth resonator or.
b.Adding 2 chambered Mufflers to my system one on the passenger side right infront of the tip and the 2nd right after it splits at the Y towards the drivers side tip with either of these 2 choice's
1. Sweet Thunder chambered Muffler 3" inlet outlet 24" long
2. Stainless Works chambered muffler 3" inlet outlet 24" long
What do you guys think?? I couldnt find any sound clips of it anywhere's looks like i might have to be the test mule hehe
Do you think it will atleast be a little more refined of a sound with atleast a little less interior resonance than the L.M.??
Or you think it would be a waste of time and i should just look for a more mellow cat back??
Old 03-28-2006, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=469381&page=1

Check that thread out, was 2 posts below..........
Old 03-29-2006, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

A more mellow catback would probably be the better route, chambered mufflers of this type don't offer all that much in the way of noise supression.

IMO you'd need more than one chambered muffler in the I-pipe else it will be louder than it is know most likely.

GMMG uses to transverse mufflers, if you are trying to utilise the LM then this evidently isn't an option.

Stainless works offer a chambered system, it uses 3 mufflers. On in the I-pipe and one each side just before the exhaust tips. The trouble is buying these mufflers is not cheap.

An alternative would be to use Powersticks (Classic Chambered Exhaust), these don't neck down like some of the other chambered mufflers do so they do flow well. However they are only available in aluminimised steel and not stainless. But they are cheap by comparison.

Still it may be better to just look at buying a new catback and selling the LM, this undoubtably would be the cheapest and easiest option.

Or you could do the classic bullett muffler swap to replace the LM resonator. However these will likely change the tone of the exhaust but they probably won't really affect the db level much.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought about doing what you are suggesting too. Sweet thunder sells polished exhaust tips with the chambered baffling in them. Problem is, the passenger side pipe has a bend in it between the Y and where it exits the car and the tip wouldnt fit. I believe the tips are the same length as the mufflers themselves. You could put one in the cross piece for the drivers side pipe. Then you would have a half a GMMG. When I emailed sweet thunder back in the fall they said they were "thinking" about making a 3" in/out with a 2 3/4" inner baffle. Might be a good candidate for an I pipe resonator replacement if they actually do it.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW Im running cats with Pacesetters and the LM and I think it sound good. The interior drone and noise is not much more than stock manifolds and Y pipe (or so it seemed to me once the headers went on) outside the car it screams. It sounds mean man! You might want to wait till you put your catted Y on and see what you think. Cats make the LM sound a HELL of a lot better than an ORY.

Quick Reply: Sweet Thunder or Stainless works on a Loud Mouth