Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be cool or hypertech thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be cool or hypertech thermostat

I am gettin ready to do a coolant flush and want to get a 160 thermostat. Is anyone running the new be cool thermostat that I saw available. It looks like it is a little more expensive and did not know if there is much difference in quality.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My conversion with practically no mods runs best at 190 degrees and the oil stays clean. I have had several LS motors in the shop with lifter noise due to moisture contaminated oil from oil temps running too cold with performance thermostats. Just be prepared to change the oil more often.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

I too am a little curious about the pros and cons of the 160 stat....... will someone who knows please chime in?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

From Vinci High Performance:

Proper Coolant Temperature and Camshaft Life!

Have you ever tried to find what proper coolant temperature is for most automotive engines? There are a lot of people who think they know, but it is difficult to find specifics, even in textbooks. We know we want the intake air to be as cold as possible (for best power) because cold air is denser (there are more oxygen atoms per cubic foot). The coolant temperature, however, is a different matter. The internal combustion engine changes chemical energy stored in gasoline into heat energy that is focused on the piston tops. If the cylinder heads and engine block are too cold, they will absorb much of the combustion heat before it can be used to push the piston down the cylinder. If the engine gets too hot, engine lubricants can break down, as well as overheating of the intake charge can lead to detonation, etc.

It turns out that coolant (usually a 50/50 mixture of coolant and water) has some fantastic properties that are ideal for use in engines. With a properly pressurized cooling system, coolant will not freeze until –30°F, and it won’t boil until +270°F (new oils don’t start to break down until well over 270°F). With these characteristics, engine designers have decided that engines should operate at approximately 210-215°F. Why, you ask? Well, it has to do with operating the engine at a high enough temperature to boil water out of the oil after the engine is cold started. If you have dew on the grass, it is certain that you have water in your oil, as the crankcase is open to atmospheric pressure! You can either remove the water by draining it out the bottom of the oil pan (remember the oil floats on water) or run the engine long enough and hot enough to boil the water out of the lubrication system. Years ago, coolants weren’t as sophisticated and engines were run at 165-180F, but the oil was changed every 1000 miles or so. That’s why many old timers think engines should run at 165-180F. Have you ever noticed that Ford doesn’t put temperature marks on their gauges? They just mark C for cold and H for hot and write “normal” through the center. If you hook up a scan tool to a GM, you will often find that the gauge reads much lower than the coolant temp sensor. That is because they know most drivers don’t understand how hot an engine should run.

So what does this have to do with camshafts? Many enthusiasts erroneously think that the colder their engine runs the better! If they are not running the engine hot enough to boil the water out of the oil, the oil becomes contaminated and the lifter/cam lobe interface is the highest load point in the engine. Engines running too cool can contribute significantly to camshaft and lifter failure. Think about it: What good does it do to use the most expensive synthetic oil and then run the engine so cold that it is contaminated by water vapor??!! Another point, piston manufacturers’ piston-to-wall clearance recommendations assume you will be running the fully warmed engine at 200°+F. Run the engine too cold, and you could see some scuffed pistons because the cylinders had not expanded enough to provide clearance.

If your engine will only run its best at the drag strip with the engine at 165°F, you probably have too cold of a spark plug heat range and you are probably jetted way too rich! If you keep the engine hot (not the intake charge), you will be using more of the heat energy in the gasoline to make power instead of just heating up your block. It does take “tuning know-how” to run an engine at 200-210°F, but you might be surprised how well and how long it runs when you do!! One final point - running a computer managed engine at 165°F compared to the factory 210°F will often cost you as much as 4 MPG. The reason for this is that the computer thinks that the engine is not off the “choke cycle” and it is still putting out a rich mixture! Check the science on this and don’t pay attention to the “old wives tales” of the past. Materials and lubricants are much better and different today than they were in the past!!
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...20PAGE%20.HTML
Old 03-29-2006, 12:05 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well that makes me feel like **** for getting a 160 thermostat and water wetter for the HotRod power tour. Makes me think that I should reprogram my fans to come back on at 210/230 like the factory settings.

It makes sense what they are saying.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

and i just reprogrammed the fans too, but even while cruising my motor runs around 185-190 and when idling about 195-200 so I dont think im too hot or cold.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, according to BeCool, their themostat if it were to fail it would be open. I think thats a big point on their favor.
Suck when a thermostat fails away from home and overheat your car.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

I think it's a good idea to run the fans a lil more if you have LT headers FWIW.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well that makes me feel like **** for getting a 160 thermostat

It makes sense what they are saying.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im a firm believer in warm motor, cold air myself.... one of the reasons i love the plastic intakes... you can have the motor at 215, and the intake air is still near ambiant temp..
Old 03-29-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

wat should i program my fans to come on? around 175-180?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks alot for the advice. I thought i heard some cons to running cooler so i am really glad I posted here first. I think what i will be doing is going with the 187 degree be cool and then gettin the slp fan control switch so that if i need to turn the fans on when i am sitting in traffic i can. Sometimes i will see that gauge go up and would like to be able to regulate that. I figure this way I will be able to leave things alone but if i am sitting in trafic for awhile after i would have burned off any condensation i can drop the temp a little. Or is getting the fan switch a waste since i am going with the 187 thermostat.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

doesnt anyone make a 180 stat??
Old 03-29-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

hypertech does. i run that b/c of the ls1 runnign great around the 190 area. fans come on to accomidate the 180. no problems to report. i do like the fact that some other brands offer ones that stay open if they fail, but i couldnt find a 180.