Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there much point?

Old 03-30-2006, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there much point?

In going to an OR/Y without changing to long tubers as well? How much HP difference would it be between stock Y & OR/Y assuming you keep the factory headers.

I have a cut-out right before the rear axle.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I don't think the gain is worth the hassle. Yes their will be gain but nothing substantial IMO. Plus you will end up getting headers one day and then you'll need another Y pipe.

Exhausts are about flow and scavenging. The stock manifolds are the biggest restriction so by removing/altering the bits after the manifolds (cats, Y-pipe, catback, muffler) will only have minimal affect.

Check out Texas Speed and Performance, you can get some Pacesetter LT's and an ORY for $500 all you'd need then is a decent catback and you could also get rid of the cutout.

Most of the good catbacks have mufflers which flow as well as the tubing does so by -by-passing the muffler with a cutout you'll gain little or nothing. Obviously the cutout will make things louder but that's about it's only useful purpose on a good setup.

I think TSP's Rumbler exhaust is only like $200-250 so you could get a whole setup for less than $800.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no, there is no point

Search this Thread