Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP headers, y-pipe and cats...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP headers, y-pipe and cats...

Thinking about buying this combo from SLP, but they are pretty expensive about $1250 from Summit. What do you suggest?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Hell no. Stay away from it.

SLP has decent headers, but they advertise gains of like 41 hp and 50 tq with them. That's some bullshit right there. Their headers are stainless AND coated, which makes them very nice, but they have a terrible design because they hang FAR too low. For that much money, you can get either some QTPs, FLPs, or Kooks headers. All very nice. I'd reccomend you get stainless too if you're looking in that price range.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

yep I agree unless you want to gwt ripped off stay clear of SLP headers.

Stainless Works, Kooks & QTP are all better premium options, or check out Pacesetter, Jet Hot, Hooker for cheaper coated (not stainless steel) headers.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't get stainless get a set of coated pacesetters with a y-pipe from texas-speed should run you around $600 and they are great.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to advise staying away from the SLP headers also. The headers and 'Y' pipe just hang to FRIGGING low.
Hawk
Old 03-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Wink Slp Headers.

Ok, Guys. The Only Way To Go On An Ls1 Is With Slp Headers. Because They Are Tuned Lenght. Tuned Lenght Is The Key. All Exhaust Pulses Are Equal. This Is The Most Power You Will Get Out Of Headers. You All Have Good Points With The Headers Being Low. But If Thats What It Takes, Then Thats The Way. I Have Them On Mine, And Yes They Are Low And Yes I Have Hit Them A Few Times. But My Car Is Lowered. Also If You Take A Look At The Price Of Competitors, And Add The Headers And Y Pipe Assembly, The Cost Is Not That Different. Especially For The Power Difference.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GUNFIGHTER 1
Ok, Guys. The Only Way To Go On An Ls1 Is With Slp Headers. Because They Are Tuned Lenght. Tuned Lenght Is The Key. All Exhaust Pulses Are Equal. This Is The Most Power You Will Get Out Of Headers. You All Have Good Points With The Headers Being Low. But If Thats What It Takes, Then Thats The Way. I Have Them On Mine, And Yes They Are Low And Yes I Have Hit Them A Few Times. But My Car Is Lowered. Also If You Take A Look At The Price Of Competitors, And Add The Headers And Y Pipe Assembly, The Cost Is Not That Different. Especially For The Power Difference.
Do you have any proof of this? I have personally seen my buddy change from slp lt's to qtp hvmc headers and he gain 4-5 rwhp on the swap. Ill see if I can get the graph from him. Slp's hang pretty damn low and if your lowered its certainly a bad idea. My buddy ran them on his 01 z28 with the eibach sportlines and he dented the hell out of his headers. The final straw was when he hit a raise manhole cover and almost tore them right off the block. The flange was bent and leaked like crazy so he went with the qtp's and loves them, plus they made more power. To the orginal poster, stay away from SLPs and if your looking to spend 1200 on a nice system get qtps with a catted y-pipe or stainless works with a catted y-pipe, or even FLP's. If you only want to spend about $700 go with the coated pacesetters and catted y-pipe, I believe Texas-speed has that combo for $700.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Teching In

I Guess The Best Way To Describe The Power Gain Is Throughout The Power Band. Certain Headers Will Normally Work Well In One Area, Either Low End, Mid Or High. Like A Cam. But Since Your Exhaust Pulses Are Equalized, That Is Where The Power Gain Is. It More Consistent. And Yes They Are Low And Annoying. And With Regards To A Power Difference. Any True Race Setup, Will Always Have A Tuned Lenght. Unless The Track Dictates A Need For More Low End Or Top End.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I Guess The Best Way To Describe The Power Gain Is Throughout The Power Band. Certain Headers Will Normally Work Well In One Area, Either Low End, Mid Or High. Like A Cam. But Since Your Exhaust Pulses Are Equalized, That Is Where The Power Gain Is. It More Consistent. And Yes They Are Low And Annoying. And With Regards To A Power Difference. Any True Race Setup, Will Always Have A Tuned Lenght. Unless The Track Dictates A Need For More Low End Or Top End.
Where is your proof?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly, im not an exhaust expert, just stating what I personally saw with the swap between the 1 3/4 slp lt's and the 1 3/4 qtp high velocity merge collector headers, both using catted y-pipes and random tech cats. Plus the qtps didnt lose any low end power to top end power, the curves were pretty similar, with the qtp having more peak hp than the slp's. Not saying what your saying is incorrect, just wondering if you have any proof.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Teching In

The Proof Is, Its A Known In The Industry. Thats All I'm Say. I've Been On The Racing Side For 9yrs. That Is Road Racing, Bikes And Cars. It Mainly Has To Do With Scavenging Gases. Everything Is Tuned, Or It Should Be.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...t=366&ei=UTF-8

http://www.redlineperformanceenginee...s1headersm.jpg

I have pacesetters and I sold a set of SLP headers for my friend who hated them, just look at all of the unecessary bents and curves they have. They hung so low on stock ride height that he scraped constantly and I would bet that they don't make any more power than any other longtube.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

And their awsome welds...
Old 03-31-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!! So how does tuned length overcome the crushed and dented tubes? The 'Y' pipe denting and cat scraping i'll leave for another day.
Hawk
Old 03-31-2006, 07:11 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SLPTransAm
Thinking about buying this combo from SLP, but they are pretty expensive about $1250 from Summit. What do you suggest?
www.quicktimeperformance.com
Old 04-03-2006, 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

But what are they tuned to??? They may well have all the primaries tuned within 1/2" of each other, but if that lenght is wrong to begin with then it's to no point anyhow.

Checkout the sticky on Exhaust/Induction mods in this forum and read posts 6 and 13 onwards and see what some industry experts think on "tuned equal lenght". I think you may find it an eye opener.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Launching!

This is my .02. I have slp headers and the gains where excellent. Before the headers I was putting down 321 HP at 347 TQ. After install I pulled 350 HP and 372 TQ. Keep in mind the tune in my car sucks. My af is as high as 13.8 from 2500 rpm to 3500 rpm and 13.0 5000 to 6200 rpm. So as you can tell af ratio needs some work. But even still was able to pull of some good gains. 29 HP 25 TQ. But on the down side yes they do hang low. I would not even think about lowering the car. And in reality the header dose not hang that low its the y-pipe that does. As long as you drive good and pay attention to what you are going over you should not have a problem. I was always a carefull driver before the install and still a carefull drive and I have yet to hit the header or y-pipe. Always remeber you get what you pay for. One more thing if you are going to get headers that are coated remeber the coating will usually start coming off in about a month or so. Which could cause you to throw a code (a sensor problem). So in saying that anything less than stainless steel is trash. They will start rusting from the inside and out. Just do it right the first time so you dont have to do it again. Remeber headers are not cheap to buy or install. I would say QTP, SPL, KOOKS, are your better choice of headers. Im sure there are others I personally have not looked into all of them. Good luck and hope this helps you in your choice.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

I like the SLP header design but the Y-pipe sucks. The merge is a joke and we all know of the ground clearance. I picked up a set with a custom flowmaster merge Y for cheap. I woul prefer QTP or Kooks but I paid about 1/3rd the price of those and have full stainless with the same merge as the QTPs.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

why spend 1200 bucks on headers for minimal gains? pacesetters are great and are cheap.....i picked up mine with a y pipe and extensions for 422 shipped.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Question, the package deal for 700 or so from TSP, is that for coated and catted y or for uncoated and ctated y? thanks