Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible squealing!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horrible squealing!!

I have this squeal that is STILL giving me trouble! I've systematically replaced all the parts that are driven by the belt and it hasn't changed!!?? At least I had an excuse to get a Meziere WP! The squeal only starts after the car has been warmed up and driven for a while. A vacuum leak was finally suggested to be a possibilty...and it looks like the only light shining on this problem. I disconnect the hose going to the brake booster and it stops, connect it back and it immediately starts again. It is a LOUD squeal! Sounds just like a belt, but I can't pinpoint a location for the sound!? My idle also wants to hunt for a RPM all the time and it will want to stall when I come to a stop. Is there any tricks to tracking down a vacuum leak? BTW, I have no belt on the AC and the airpump deleted. Somewhere it was mentioned that there is a fitting or something you have to plug when removing the a.i.r. pump? Can anyone shed any light on this?
Old 04-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like it's starting to be a pia but there's definately still a belt problem. You may want to isolate it further by systematically disconnecting each belt.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

maybe your brake booster itself is bad and it is somehow leaking air to give you the vaccum problems and the squealing could be coming from inside the booster itself... just a thought
Old 04-01-2006, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

A few people are telling me to spray something flamable like brake cleaner around the vacuum hoses to find a leak (if there is one). As far as the belts go...I only have the main accessory drive belt, and I took it off and started it up (no belts connected) and still had a squeak. Alternator, power steering, water pump, all tensioners were not spinning. I unhooked the brake booster hose only because it was the easiest to locate and I know it's using ALOT of vacuum. By unhooking the booster it relieves pressure on a much smaller leak (the one making the noise)...in theory!? Does that sound plausible? If I have a pinhole leak somewhere making a whistleing (or squealing) sound and I remove the vacuum by making a much bigger leak somewhere else (booster) the "whistleing" goes away.
If this is a possibility, what's the best way to track down a small leak?
Old 04-01-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can u upload a vid of that noise? My car seems to be making a annoying noise too when it gets warmed up. Especially when i'm in neutral. My car is in the shop to find out where that noise is coming from.