Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom cat placement? pros/cons?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default custom cat placement? pros/cons?

currently have full exhaust sitting in my garage. havent put it on yet because i have an ory and i need to pass emissions next month.

alright, so heres what i have planned out.
i have shorty headers, to a stainless works ory, then to slp loudmouth.

i basically want to just 'bolt' one 3" cat right before the resonator on the catback. its basically being bolted on the the end of the ory and then about 3" of 3" piping to the loudmoth resonator. are there any negatives to having the two so close together??

let me know if anybody has done this before.

thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing bad will happen putting it there, the catalytic converter will just not work efficiently until the engine has warmed up and the exhaust gets hotter so that it can actually burn off what the cylinders don't. Not that you give a damn though.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:14 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will be trying to force twice as many CFM through that one cat, it will probably hurt performance more than normal.

I would just go have the car inspected now! I had mine inspected right before i put my LT's and true duals on and my sticker was still good for another month, I wanted to be good for at least another whole year.

Not sure how it works in other places, but here in texas, if you bring it in, they will inspect it, expired or not.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah tahts the thing though, i am going to have it inspected before the exhaust, but what about next year? im gonna have to throw a cat on there sometime.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Bribes ..... Thats Waht I Reccomend
Old 04-03-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

why did you not do long tubes if your worried about passing emissions, esp if you're going with an ORY? Meet some local guys ask around and make friends or have friends who know people who can get ya passed
Old 04-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

you might want to check and see if there are any exemption options where you live. in my area of PA i don't have to do emissions if i drive the car less than 5k miles a year, found that out last year when i got it inspected and they handed me exemption papers. so when i do my headers this year, no more cats.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wanted originally do to longtubes, but i found a smokin deal on a guy who was selling hooker shorties and stainless works ory for 200 bucks. only 5k miles on them. thats why i went with these.