Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Ram Air - Cut baffle, or remove entirely?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Ram Air - Cut baffle, or remove entirely?

Hey,

On the install university install documents, they cut a portion of the air baffle below the air filter tray.

I saw that there were 4 pins holding part of it in, and I saw that I could remove the top half of the air baffle.

I was uneasy about doing so, because this opens up the front of the radiator to almost anything. Though moreso it opens the air up to be passed next to the radiator and up into my intake. I don't think that is too big of a deal, I don't think anymore hot air will get in than before, I think it will breath much better.

I plan on creating my own CAI out of sheet metal. I don't see how this can be created without taking this piece of plastic that creates the air baffles. Nor do I see how the Fast Toys Ram Air (an existing cold air intake) can be installed either.

So my question is, what are the downfalls to removing this piece of plastic from under the lid/intake? Has anyone done this?

I drove it around, and it didn't make any loud noises, or anyhthing irregular. I felt a little more responsiveness in 2nd gear, but of course that could be just mental.

Anyways, let me knwo what you think.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jeoworks
Hey,

On the install university install documents, they cut a portion of the air baffle below the air filter tray.

I saw that there were 4 pins holding part of it in, and I saw that I could remove the top half of the air baffle.

I was uneasy about doing so, because this opens up the front of the radiator to almost anything. Though moreso it opens the air up to be passed next to the radiator and up into my intake. I don't think that is too big of a deal, I don't think anymore hot air will get in than before, I think it will breath much better.

I plan on creating my own CAI out of sheet metal. I don't see how this can be created without taking this piece of plastic that creates the air baffles. Nor do I see how the Fast Toys Ram Air (an existing cold air intake) can be installed either.

So my question is, what are the downfalls to removing this piece of plastic from under the lid/intake? Has anyone done this?

I drove it around, and it didn't make any loud noises, or anyhthing irregular. I felt a little more responsiveness in 2nd gear, but of course that could be just mental.

Anyways, let me knwo what you think.
I would personal not cut the baffle below the air tray. You will probley notice no performanc gain and a crap load of dirty all over you engine compartment. I did it and regret it. Just my .02
Old 04-05-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ripped all of that **** out the first day i had my car and its worked great
Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gonna have to ditch the plastic peice if you want a custom ram air setup, also sheet metal works great that is what i used, fyi ftra can be used with the plastic piece just need to cut a hole in it and slide it in

Chris
Old 04-05-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chrs1313
gonna have to ditch the plastic peice if you want a custom ram air setup, also sheet metal works great that is what i used, fyi ftra can be used with the plastic piece just need to cut a hole in it and slide it in

Chris
Why would you have to ditch the plastic piece for a custom ram air setup? I've got a ram air setup, and still use the plastic piece with the FRA cut.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Why would you have to ditch the plastic piece for a custom ram air setup? I've got a ram air setup, and still use the plastic piece with the FRA cut.
did you even read what i wrote , custom ram air will be difficult with the plastic peice still in place, and then i said you can use a ftra and still have the plastic peice. Look at any custom ram air and look to see if the plastic piece is still there. Mine isn't , sux2bu isn't, big gulp isnt, smokinws6(spelling) isn't. Need i say more
Old 04-05-2006, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6RED2002TA
I would personal not cut the baffle below the air tray. You will probley notice no performanc gain and a crap load of dirty all over you engine compartment. I did it and regret it. Just my .02

i noticed a difference with mine cut. im in arizona so dirt gets in my engine no mattrer what
Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Launching!

I would suggest you get a ram air hood and take the baffles out. Then make a home made seal from underneath the hood to the air box. Just my .02
Old 04-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I have thought about that, and it seems like the most logical move.

Not sure why people are pulling cold air from the ground, especially when we have a hood with two huge nostrils just for that purpose.

The logistics of it are more difficult though, but could be done.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Launching!

The main reason people pull form the ground is because they dont want to buy the hood if its not a ws6. I personly did it because I was afraid to mess up the hood by taking out the baffles. So I totally regreat cutting the air baffle under the filter. Plus you would lose the pressurized air coming in from the nostrils if you sealed the hood to the air box. Hope this help you in your dissision good luck man.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

If you have a WS6 I'd go with he BGRA. It works awesome for me. In the 1/4 I picked up almost 2 mph and shaved about 2 tenths.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Ive been debating this over the last week myself. I recenty got the SLP HO ram air hood. It has a nice long one peice baffle on it. I want to put in the Volant CAI. I currently use a whisper lid, and the fra, and ssra. With the volant id most likely repeat the fra and keep the ssra too. But I sorta want to make some nice chunks in that baffle

But I guess Im thinking.. it would suck to be the one guy who did it, and then get his engine soaked hehe.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

So then the baffle being in or out does not have anything to do with the air reaching the air box? It is keeping the dirt out of the engine bay?

SteveC
Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

you realize this thread is nearly 5 years old right? your hood is not a sealed system, drill the rivets and remove all of it if you wish.. it wont make a difference, leave them in, it wont make a difference.. I removed all my plates and put in lights... absolutely no difference in performance or cleanliness of the engine... so if there are no gains, why take it out?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
you realize this thread is nearly 5 years old right? your hood is not a sealed system, drill the rivets and remove all of it if you wish.. it wont make a difference, leave them in, it wont make a difference.. I removed all my plates and put in lights... absolutely no difference in performance or cleanliness of the engine... so if there are no gains, why take it out?
I own a 2001 Z28 Camaro, and even though this is an old thread, is there anyone out there that can tell me what the ramifications are when you remove the radiator plastic baffle?

SteveC
Old 01-29-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SteveC
I own a 2001 Z28 Camaro, and even though this is an old thread, is there anyone out there that can tell me what the ramifications are when you remove the radiator plastic baffle?

SteveC
i couldnt tell you on the camaro cause ive never had a Z... i can tell you that you will get no gain by removing it... its an open system pretty much just for looks... may give you 1psi at 80mph but I doubt it. Id leave it if i were you... it seems like your drawing in air from the top, and water flows downhill... just a guess tho...
Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SteveC

SteveC
Crap gets caught in between your radiator and your AC condenser and can't be removed without a good vacuum.

Otherwise, it improves cooling performance somewhat and allows more air to get to your air box.

Quick Reply: Free Ram Air - Cut baffle, or remove entirely?