Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Materials Needed To Port A Fast 90

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Materials Needed To Port A Fast 90

MY FAST SETUP IS ON ITS WAY I HAVE A DREMEL AND A BASIC IDEA WHAT I NEED TO DO

MY QUESTION IS WHAT BITS (AND OTHER MATERIALS) DO I NEED TO USE WHEN DOING THE PORTING

ALSO WHAT THE HELL IS A HOOKED SCRIBE? I READ I NEED ONE TO DO THE PORT MATCHING?

THANKS,
JOHN

btw ANY TIPS RELATED TO THIS PORJECT ARE MORE THAN WELCOME IN THIS THREAD IM GONNA BE VERY CAUTIONS AND CONSERTIVE IN MY PORTING BUT I REALLY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IM DOING YET I FIGURE IF I TAKE IT SLOW AND READ ALOT IT CANT BE THAT BI OF A DEAL??
Old 04-05-2006, 07:37 AM
12 Second Club

I'm right here with you bud.
I just started mine last night.
And right now the tools im using are as follows.

- Safety glasses
- Dremel with roundedd/pointy tip orange grinder bit at high RPM
- Sandpaper 180 and 240 grit, I'd recommend a pack of 150 grit too
- Blue painters masking tape (to cover gasket areas from collecting sanding dust)
- Old toothbrush (to clean away dusty mess every 10 seconds)
- Patience

I was gonna post my porting experience when I get done, complete with pics but I just started last night.

DJ
Old 04-05-2006, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

Would be great if you guys can throw up some pics. Thanks.

Last edited by mvonada; 04-05-2006 at 09:30 AM. Reason: word
Old 04-05-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
MY FAST SETUP IS ON ITS WAY I HAVE A DREMEL AND A BASIC IDEA WHAT I NEED TO DO

MY QUESTION IS WHAT BITS (AND OTHER MATERIALS) DO I NEED TO USE WHEN DOING THE PORTING

ALSO WHAT THE HELL IS A HOOKED SCRIBE? I READ I NEED ONE TO DO THE PORT MATCHING?

THANKS,
JOHN

btw ANY TIPS RELATED TO THIS PORJECT ARE MORE THAN WELCOME IN THIS THREAD IM GONNA BE VERY CAUTIONS AND CONSERTIVE IN MY PORTING BUT I REALLY HAVE NO CLUE WHAT IM DOING YET I FIGURE IF I TAKE IT SLOW AND READ ALOT IT CANT BE THAT BI OF A DEAL??

Hooked scribe.... Assuming it is just a scribe its just for tracing the desired port perimeter shape to the intake port opening. In your case with the plastic manifold a sharpie will work just fine. Also consider that port matching is not just for the intake, but for the heads as well. After all that is what you are matching the port to. First step would be to compare the two using some kind of template and see how close you are and how much material removal is necessary. To just do the intake manifold is pointless unless the intake ports on the head dont need modification. I would advice to only use small flap sanders in the begining. They are very forgiving. Possibly just do the whole operation by hand with good quality sandpaper especialy on the plastic. Been there done that and most times it is the best way.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ported the runners on each of mine yesterday, but only that big *** piece of plastic.

I used an air die grinder with a little stone bit, it worked great. I got some wirewheel brushes for my dremel to clean them up. I then went over it with some sandpaper. I'm not too worried about it right now as i'll probably have it professionally done when i figure out which heads i want to use.

I used my air blower to remove all the dust and whatnot too. Make SURE you wear saftey glasses with the wire wheel! Those little bastards have quite a bit of kinetic energy when they fly out at 25,000 rpms!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Oh yeah, this may go without saying, but if your planning on a Dremel, you will prob need the flex length extension.
Running the bit straight off the dremel will prob be too short/wide.

DJ
Old 04-05-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

so to port match i line up the head ports and the manifold and grind off any leftover intake to be smooth with the head ports then grind off any of the head that is visiable thru the intake runners ???

in the end im just tring to make as seamless of an opening as possible right?
hey i was just thinking if i could use a exacto knife and a piece of foam couldent i make amold of one of the head ports and dip the top of it in ink then place it in the head port and see where it leaves a mark on the bottom of the manifold

also if not that then wat about a little spray paint??? would putting the intake on and spraying a small ammount of spraypaint in the taped off heads hurn anything i figure is i tape it off only a little paint will get no the heads and the cloud of overspray whould mark the bottom side of the manifold to where the head ports are mis algined with the intake ??

so many ideas!!!