Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement LS-1 Thermostat Does Not Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement LS-1 Thermostat Does Not Fit

I was trying to replace my stock 02 Camaro LS-1 thermostat with a Hyperstat 180 deg and it would not fit. The cast in support legs/brackets were too wide to fit in the hole. so I put the stock back in.

I checked around and verified I had ordered the right part and other similar aftermarkets were the same style and size. I then went to the local Chevy dealer and checked a GM replacement part and it was the same dimensions as the Powerstat too!

Last year the water pump was replaced under warranty and when I queried Service about it, they said a new thermostat came with the water pump. This thermostat instead of having a stamped cross bar that holds the end of the spring to thes upport legs/brackets, has a U shaped stamped bracket that goes all the way to the base of the housing. That makes the over all diameter of the guts of the thermostat small enough to fit.

The interference is maybe 1/8 inch (more or less) but is too much to grind off the outside of the legs/brackets to make it fit. The other alternative is remove the water pump and grind on the hole.

Is anyone aware of this change in design or potential problem?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

I had the same thing happen after having the water pump crap out. I went to put my nearly new hypertech 160 t-stat in and it didn't fit.

It wasn't off by much so I made it fit. 3 years and no issues with leaks or anything like that. Everything works fine.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Thanks so much. I was begining to think that I was the only one with this "unique" design!

If you could tell me when you got your new water pump? I am still waiting on Chevy Tech support to call back but it looks like I am going to have to pull the pump!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Sorry, "Johnny5" I was so focused on your solution I did not note that this was three years ago so disregard the previous post.

But it does show the rest of the folks, that if you put in a new water pump, your old thermostat or any aftermarket thermostats will not fit without modification. Bad Move GM since they could have solved the problems by just drilling the hole 1/8 to 1/4 inch larger.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

your 02 already has a 180 t-stat
Old 04-06-2006, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

The pump was just what I got from GMPartsDirect with the stock pump no.

Yes, I thought it was a brilliant design also and wasn't pleased when I had to start grinding. It seems like the old or new style t-stats will still work though even though some of the material is removed. If in doubt a dab of rtv could be used along with the gasket on the t-stat.