Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh the sweet sounds of

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oh the sweet sounds of

The kooks long tube headers with catted Y-pipe and the GMMG exhaust to finish things up. This was the first header install I've done and this board was invaluable to get it accomplished. I'm not a complete idiot with no mechanical capabilities but I do generally learn things the hard way. You know like getting all excited and starting the car to see if the ignition coils are hooked up right but forgetting to put the oil filter back on and letting the car run for about 10 seconds. There goes 4 quarts of Mobile1. Anyway the irritation of getting the drivers side header in and trying to get a previously installed GMMG adjusted and forgetting to put the #8 wire on the plug and making up words worse than all the very worst words I know because they just wouldn't do at the time became very much worth it after hearing it run on my test drive. I had a slp dual dual which had great sound but wasn't quite loud enough. I replaced that with a TSP rumbler. Great exhaust for the price, was going to put the headers and high flow catted y on with this system until I got a great deal on the GMMG. When I got back from my little test drive my son and his buddies are sitting in the driveway with these goofy looks on their faces. "We could hear you car almost the whole time you were driving". Big grin on my face. I wasn't miles away from home but far enough I didn't figure they would be able to hear it. To sum it up I love it and all my votes on cat back polls go to GMMG unless they are asking about something quiet. Thanks for reading and LS1TECH rules. Now I must go .
Old 04-05-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in comparison, how much quieter was the slp. reason i ask is becuase i will be selling my gmmg for a dual/dual. i'm also installing twin cutout with an ory
Old 04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

i have the same setup as you and i love it. it sounds great idling and even better at wot. i don't even turn on the radio anymore i just listen to the sweet sounds of the exhaust.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

The slp dual dual sounded so good I hated to pull it off the car. It is much quieter than the GMMG but not so quiet that people would question whether it was a V8 or not. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Right on. Good work. I am no stranger to garage goof ups as well.

I have big box of JetHot LT's and my Mufflex ORY just got dropped of this evening. Props to the sponsors (Thunder Racing and Speedinc) and UPS.

Cant wait to install them. I am looking forward to hearing it through the Borla.

R/

Frat
Old 04-05-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSmiley1906
The slp dual dual sounded so good I hated to pull it off the car. It is much quieter than the GMMG but not so quiet that people would question whether it was a V8 or not. Hope this helps.
That's what I'm looking to hear. My car is getting Dual/Dual with LTs and an ORY.

Congrats on your GMMG! If I hadn't planned on going with LTs, it would have been my first choice.