Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debaffled WS6 hood yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 06:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Debaffled WS6 hood yesterday

Yesterday I took the baffles out of my hood in my WS6 to create a true ram air. What I did was take the baffles out by drilling out the rivets, then I put weatherstripping from the hatch of a thirdgen camaro around the edges of the opening in the back side of the hood to seal it to the airbox when it is shut. I am still working on making the 2 pieces that go in the nostrils to direct the air flow in a more efficent and less turbulent manner.

The reason I post this is because I think it made a significant difference. Any speeds above 30mph the car pulls a bit harder, and anything over about 95 or so the car pulls much harder than it did.

I recommend anyone with a WS6 or WS6 hood/airbox to do this mod.

Thanks
-Scott
Old 04-07-2006, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

I am not so sure about the significant difference. I didn't feel anything :/
Old 04-07-2006, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a VERY old mod. I also have it done & its not that big of a performance gain. Now some of the guys running the B.G.R.A. system have the best open nostril setup around. Sadly the kit is no longer offered. Many have sealed the opening to the box. Look around there should be a few write-ups on it.

Spend more time on here & you will learn alot.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

It's a good free-mod. I haven't got around to doing mine yet.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

I de-baffled the hood LOOOONG ago, but I didn't want to take out the other little deflectors for fear of sucking up rain and whatnot.

Curious about the weatherstripping, though. How tall is the stripping y'all use???
Old 04-13-2006, 02:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ric
I de-baffled the hood LOOOONG ago, but I didn't want to take out the other little deflectors for fear of sucking up rain and whatnot.

Curious about the weatherstripping, though. How tall is the stripping y'all use???

same here
Old 04-13-2006, 03:13 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, that’s what I thought they were in there for was to keep water out of the intake. Don't the Mini Coopers have a problem like this, where when a significant amount of water gets splashed on the hood they hydro lock. Don't really want that happening to my trans am.

~Alex
Old 04-13-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ric

I didn't realize there were different baffles. I thought all there was were the deflectors to stop water from getting in

I guess I'll have to search for a write-up on this.

Do those baffles also stop water....or are the deflectors enough?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Teching In

My personal opinoin that this is the bigfoot of mods....

Don't get me wrong I love my wS6, but do you really think that a hood gave an additional 20-25hp over the standard TA?....nope

You certainly cannot prove it on a dyno like SAE would require for the official rating, the bottom line is all LS1's put out a lot more than they are are rated at.

On my Ws6 my quarter mile times only improved with that SLP cold air duct that installs in front of the radiator. The little flap makes sure that is a high pressure area and I am sure flows 100-1000X that air that the cosmetic "ram air" hoods flow.

Back when pontiac coined RAM AIR was a carburated car that actually took in fresh air (as all cars do now) and special heads.

"Ram Air" today is a marketing ploy.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

uh, this argument is as old as the internet...
Old 04-13-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

I debaffled about 3 months ago, you can still buy the bigram air gasket and rain gaurd and rig it up to work flawlessly, at least I did.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Coy
uh, this argument is as old as the internet...
And what is your point? I suspect that this argument is actually older than the internet as Pontiac has been doing this stuff since 1970's with the shaker hoods!!!

It is the best looking hood I have ever seen on a production car, but no gains other than weight.

With the RAM air though, there was also a larger opening on the air cleaner...this was worth something I would bet.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Can you do this with the SS hoods *** well?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hatdragracer
And what is your point? I suspect that this argument is actually older than the internet as Pontiac has been doing this stuff since 1970's with the shaker hoods!!!

It is the best looking hood I have ever seen on a production car, but no gains other than weight.

With the RAM air though, there was also a larger opening on the air cleaner...this was worth something I would bet.
The fourth gen WS6/SS hood argument.

Now you make a point, cause so far you haven't said anything everyone else hasn't already heard.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

I wish I would have never done this stupid mod. I didnt notice a difference power-wise and now I have that thought in the back of my head everytime it rains.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just use an oiled filter. I've got mine completely sealed and have had no problems going through torential downfalls. I have a clear lid and can tell if moisture gets through. Nada.

Oh and I noticed a difference. Mainly when it's warm. It's basically just a CAI until you get up to speed then it makes a little difference.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been running a de-baffled hood, sealed directly to my airbox for 3 years now. I have driven in heavy rains and all that with absolutely zero problems.

Call me crazy, i don't really care... The car doesn't see rain anymore
Old 04-13-2006, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
I've been running a de-baffled hood, sealed directly to my airbox for 3 years now. I have driven in heavy rains and all that with absolutely zero problems.

Call me crazy, i don't really care... The car doesn't see rain anymore
I'm with you. You would have to ****** spray water right in the nostrils & plug the hole in the bottom of the air box for it to suck up hard enough to go into the motor. You filter might get damp at most. You should never have a problem with water gettin in.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Still, curious about the weatherstripping, though. How big a strip do y'all use to seal off the inlet???
Old 04-13-2006, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ric
Still, curious about the weatherstripping, though. How big a strip do y'all use to seal off the inlet???
i bought some foam door weather stripping(1/2 inch thick) from home depot and put some around the air box opening and some around to cut out on the inside of the hood.

Quick Reply: Debaffled WS6 hood yesterday