Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks 1 3/4 Stainless Jet-hot Coated with 3 inch Y RANT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks 1 3/4 Stainless Jet-hot Coated with 3 inch Y RANT!!!

Well I reserached for over a year and finally decided I would spend a good amount of money on headers. I hate doing things twice. I always read Kooks were up there along with onother brand, and it came down to what ever your choice would be. Well I went with Kooks 1 3/4 3-inch collecotors and 3-inch Y by kooks. Got the headers jet hot coated and painted the y to match.

There in and look great. The bad part. The passanger side header bangs on the K-member. THIS IS NOT WHAT I CALL QUALITY!.

The second part is that the y fits for poopie*. It bangs on under the driver-side floor board it hits the (6 speed) tranny mount on the driver side also. Then the end of the y where it goes to the "I" pipe hits what would be the passanger rear seat floor board. I cant even drive the car as it sounds so horrible. I adjusted the exhaust for 6 hours and could not come up with anything. When spending 1500 on a set of headers and having this problem it sucks!

The car has NEVER been hit. I looked it over before i bought it ran a car fax. Its also a hard top car and has subframe connectors so it cant be flex. Its a 2002 with 19300 miles on it. Its not like the body is all tweaked and that is why its hitting. Something doesnt seem right here.

Any input?
I got them from TTP and they got them from Scoggin dickey.

Kyle
Old 04-07-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry your having problem with the fitment. I just got some QTP's and there dual cut out Y pipe. I hope I don't have any problems like that!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kyle, you should contact Kooks to rectify the problem. This is unacceptable!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default kooks

please call me monday so I take care of the problem for you toll free 1 866 586 kook ext 308 George R
Old 04-07-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats the fix for this, mine is extremely close in the same area, near the subframe. Not sure if it's gonna hit or not during driving cus the car isn't done yet.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Banned

Poly motor mounts seem to be the rave lately. I'm installing them with my LT's, it could fix your problem.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:47 AM
11 Second Club

Ill be calling George Monday. Thanks!

With poly mounts do you loose the "stock" feel. Ya I know its not going to be like a 2006 honda feel but is it really brutal "vibration/feel" with the poly mounts?

Kyle
Old 04-09-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

New motormounts do actually help in this area a ton no lie, but for that cash you'd expect a little better.

J
Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

I like how George stands up the handle the situation

Olease follow up on this and let us know how they handle this situation. Good customer service will win me over everytime even if it costs more $$$.

A company that stands behind their products = priceless.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any updates?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

i went through this same situation myself. i had to take it to Speed Inc. to have them fix it. they heated up and rebent the drivers side of the y-pipe around the cat and flattened the elbow after the drivers side cat even more to stop the banging. the only time it bangs now is when i am sitting at a stop light,and that is coming from the cat that is still only about an 1/8th inch away from the frame. otherwise the banging is pretty much gone.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

The real simple thing would be to have Kooks tell you that this issue is an embarassment and that they will find a dealer or muffler exhaust repair shop near you. Have you go by and see what's wrong, then either pay for the fix, or to send you a new set, free shipping. They can then either tell you to keep or trash your old set, or they can send you pre-paid shipping fort he old set to quality access them. Shrugs.

For that kind of money, and for how often WE RAVE about kooks quality and their performance, I think it would be well worth their time to do this. Shrugs.

Maybe I expect too much, but if I get anything less, I go elsewhere.

I don't think I have ever read anyone having issues with their kooks headers. Pretty sure they were rated #1 in a previous poll on here. I'd have to re-search that.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Its a trade off, they fit tight to allow for more clearance. The banging issues are common to most headers and there are a number of fixes. If its a T56 then a poly tranny mount can to wonders. Also one poly motor mount can help. I'm guessing you can get yourself a little clearance on the K-member. Mufflex also sells a part to help with the banging.

I called Kooks and they suggested the tranny mount got it and the banging went away for the most part.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

They made me send pictures first.

I guess Ill stay calm and see whats next. But in my eyes its banging. I cant drive the car cause its absolutley annoying. And being Its the begining of the season im ticked cause I want to drive it. We'll see, it better get fixed tho after spending the amount of money on them!

Kyle
Old 04-11-2006, 06:54 PM

I hate to say it, but it is probably in they way you installed them. A muffler shop could probably adjust them for you to solve your problems. I have installed a couple of sets of Kooks headers lately and only had an issue with how tight the cats fit over the colectors. The last set did fit extreemly close to the tranny mount. I could have trimmed the two humps off the tranny mount and made a better fix, but they did not bang so I left them alone. Great quality. I'm glad to see Kooks did respond to your post.

Also, I would have gotten the Stainless Steel. They will hold up better than the Coated. I wish Kooks made the stainless steel Y-pipe when I got mine.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmmmm...definitely sorry to hear this. The only time my Kooks headers have ever had problems with clearance was when I could only complete one of the two poly motor mounts. The engine sat crooked for a week until I could get back to fix it, and it rubbed on the passenger side k-member. Don't do it anymore though
Old 04-12-2006, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Theres no way the headers would not fit because of the way I installled them. They only bolt to the head one way, and they sit as is from there. THEY HIT THE K-MEMBER plain and simple there bent wrong. The headers are stainless steel, and then i sent them out to get hot to get coated after I recived them. Belive me the coating is better than plain stainless. For everyone the reason is it keeps cooler engine temps. For me i dont like the look of the stainless I like them black.

Im still wating on a reply from Kooks.

Kyle
Old 04-12-2006, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

I know my KOOKS catted-Y- was 2 1/2 inchs too long in 2 places WERE the drive side meets the Y and were the Y meets the I pipe ,when i cut what i needed off ,my hearder stop touchen my K member(it was forceN the hearders too far apart). Then after crushN the driver side pipe a little more it stop some of the bang but not all of it.But after poly motor mount install stoped all of my y pipe Bang What a headach for a high dollar setup
Old 04-12-2006, 07:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have been slammed at the office call me so we can take care of the matter. If you can not reach me at the office pm me and I will give you my cell phone number.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^wow, a personal (business) call. nice