Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather Tube????

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Breather Tube????

Anyone got pics of the Breather Tube on the passenger side valve cover that connects to the Throttle Body? Need to know what it looks like. Can this make any type of noise if not connected and plugged with some type of cap due to the pressure? Post pics of engine and arrow what tube it is if possible..Thanks again
Old 04-09-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody
Would this cause a vacuum leak and also cause any type of noise if builds pressure?
Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can imagine if the tube was not connected it might make some noise from the air sucking in from the engine bay.

The hose you're talking about is the one connected to the top part of the throttle body. It connects to the valve cover right at the front on the passenger side.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

The noise I'm referring too is a chirping noise. It seems to start when the veh been driven for awhile. My car is in the shop and I thought it was coming from the tranny. I got a complete rebuild on the tranny w/ my warranty. The techs say no since they replaced pretty much everything. The checked over and over and apparently this is the reason for the noise. They said I have no hose and that it's been plugged with a cap. Once it builds enough pressure it starts to make the noise. Can this happen or is the shop screwing me. They already R&R the tranny twice and put new parts in.

Also I called the dealer since Autozone, Oreilly's, Napa, etc. did not have it. The part came out to bout 87 bucks + tax. Can I make my own hose or get one from a salvage yard? does it have to be from the dealer?

Last edited by alfm; 04-10-2006 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:04 AM
TECH Junkie

if your refering to the ocv system as pictured above it could be a problem just to completly cap it off.. helll let me put i tthis way even if that not your current problem you need to have a pcv system on your car ro yea you can **** up a few things by having it caped off
Old 04-10-2006, 02:15 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by alfm
Can I make my own hose or get one from a salvage yard? does it have to be from the dealer?
That 12" long or so piece of hose can connected to the throttle body can simply be a piece of 3/8" or 7/16" fuel line or so. They have a big stock of hose at every autoparts store, you just need to connect the 2. Not sure if this will fix your noise, but at least you'll have 1 less thing to wonder about.

Have you tried switching the a/c off and on when the noise starts? The compressor/clutch has been known to cause some serious noises every now and then.

Your electric fans might be making the noise? I know when i turn my car off and they are still spinning they make a chirp chirp chirp while they slow down.

Try to localize the noise a little better and get back to us.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

What exactly is supposed to be flowing through this hose? What type of probs could start? I've had this car exactly a year and have not messed with anything. I'll see what the shop tells me later today and get back to yah. Thanks guys for the input
Old 04-10-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I got the car back and it drives like crap. Yeah the breather tube is definitely missing. I noticed that when I would clean the engine once in a while but never asked anybody. I'm an idiot when it comes to engines.

The tech cut the rubber cap off the valve and I bearly drove the car for a while and it's been hesitative when accelerating. I took the car to the dealership immediately cause I want my car fixed. I noticed my SES light was on(blinking) and it wasn't on before.

I need to fix my driver side window motor, a/c compressor, and whatever is wrong besides the pcv hose/catalytic convertor. All is under warranty except the hose I think but I'll just wait and see tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:27 PM
That's what she said...

That hose is called the "fresh air" hose or something to that extent. If your a/c compressor is out, I'm willing to bet it is what is making the noise.

You can take the car to autozone and they will tell you what that blinking SES light means for FREE. If the tech cut off the cap on the throttle body, it was probably sucking too much un-metered air through the hole and causing it to run differently.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

My a/c was out because I believe the compressor clutch (coil) well one of the two little clips to get a grip of the electric plug had cracked and broke so my plug is loose. That's all I believe. I took it too the dealer to check pretty much everything now. I got ext'd warranty and want to take advantage now and get it out of the way. I'll find out tomorrow what shows up on the diagnostic check.

The tech explained to me that when they test drove the vehicle themselves that the chirp would start after a good drive. Lifted hood and popped open the oil cap and the noise stopped. Closed it and it started again. Lifted the oil dipstick and it quieted. Same as before. They said it could be due to my catalytic converters being clogged and causing back pressure. What do you think?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

By not having this line connected, would it cause my car to loose power?
Old 05-08-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

A pic of the car pcv system. It doesn't look normal. What harm can it do to the engine/car performance if the tube is missing? Be specific pls