Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat shells cured my rasp.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cat shells cured my rasp.

I had some fairly horrid rasp with my exhaust setup.

Im running 3" pipes into an offcenter X pipe, 3" in / 2.5" out. My duals run both along the passenger side, up and over the axle, into two 6" round magnaflow mufflers, and into a center mount exhaust.

My buddy came over yesterday and we pulled the whole exhaust down and I welded in my old carsound cat shells that I had laying around. This finally cured my rasp. I can almost feel it trying to rasp in all the usual rpms, but the rasp just never actually happens. Just figured id share my experience since the general consensus on here says that gutted cats actually create rasp. In my experience they not just reduced rasp, they eliminated it.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, same thing with my old Grotts/3" Y/magnaflow. Rasped horribly then I put cats on it and the rasp went away. Then I gutted out the cats to get a few more HP and there was no more rasp Just like you describe, its just lingering there but not annoying at all..