Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes rasp!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What causes rasp!

im curious what actually causes the "blappy" rasp sound in exhaust, and how do cats stop it.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:40 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

LS1s cause rasp. cats and mufflers hide it

thats what i always thought
Old 04-12-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear that the blat blat blat rasp sound is from unequal length pipes in the Y pipe. I put some empty cat shells back on teh car and its almost undetectable now.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JDP
LS1s cause rasp. cats and mufflers hide it

thats what i always thought
Nope....listen to any decent dual setup, mufflers or not. No rasp.

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I hear that the blat blat blat rasp sound is from unequal length pipes in the Y pipe.
That's the right answer, as well as the design in the y-merge. I had absolutely terrible rasp from 2200-2500rpm with my macs/crappy ory. New setup is pacesetters/custom duals/1 chamber flows and there's nothing but purty music to be heard now!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Nope....listen to any decent dual setup, mufflers or not. No rasp.

That's the right answer, as well as the design in the y-merge. I had absolutely terrible rasp from 2200-2500rpm with my macs/crappy ory. New setup is pacesetters/custom duals/1 chamber flows and there's nothing but purty music to be heard now!
Pics and sound clips?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Pics and sound clips?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/456250-true-duals-1-chamber-flowmasters-sound-clip.html
Old 04-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i always figured the potential rasp of LS1's are due to aluminum blocks. it just seems to me cars with aluminum blocks have higher-pitched, racy sound while cast iron blocks have deeper, guttsier sound, but not very race-like. for example, corvettes (aluminum) scream at WOT while big trucks (iron) sound like thunder but don't have that race car sound. i suppose it's because aluminum blocks put less load on the engine due to their lighter weight.

the ability of the LS1 to "scream" gives it a greater chance of rasp - it's a higher pitched motor and higher frequencies are always more prone to rasp.

i guess cats take the rasp out because their restriction regulates the airflow in the tubes.

i've always wondered how they make a harley motorcycle engine so very deep whereas a honda civic whose engine is much MUCH larger than that of a motorcycle is so high pitched...it has to do with the amount of air in your exhaust tubing, its evenness and its velocity. i guess cats are like a built in regulation device.

sound and potential rasp also has to do A LOT with cylinder firing order. why are lamborghini's so high pitched? they have a straight firing order. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12. i'm sure they would rasp too with the proper exhaust setup, even with their 12 cylinders.

on the other hand, mustang motors are deep. i'm not sure of their firing order but i know IMO 5.0 mustangs are some of the best sounding cars ever produced-and their heads flow like sheit-i've never heard one rasp, ever. two of my friends have them, catbacks, no cats, ORY...0 rasp. their sound blows away the LS1's...too bad they're like driving a matchbox with doors.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that is sick. I just made a thread regarding gmmg "vs" true duals. +1 for duals.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

ive always thought the rasp when decelerating was from the car running too rich. my "rasp" disappeared after my tune. so i always assumed that was it.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think there are two different definitions of rasp here, and Im not certain which one of them if correct.

One issues is the blat blat blat sound that comes in a mid throttle level between 1800 and 2800 rpm. Sounds like an old pickup with straight pipes. I believe this is caused by the unequal length pipes.

The other issues is simply a less refined exhaust note. Almost sounds like whitenoise (static) overtones, or like scraping sandpaper togather. This is believe is just nature of the beast, however I believe sharp edges, hard corners, and other irregularities can contribute to ir.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

yeah that true dual with flowmasters sounds awsome, i wonder how loud that is in person compared to say a hooker catback
Old 04-13-2006, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
yeah that true dual with flowmasters sounds awsome, i wonder how loud that is in person compared to say a hooker catback
Thanks man! You can't really compare my setup to a hooker catback. When I start my car in the garage, **** literally starts to fall off the walls and my tahoe's alarm goes off....every time. Lately I've been pushing my car out of the garage before I start it . It probably wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't dumped under the car, but I love it! The only catback that will come even close to being this loud is a loudmouth behind longtubes/ory.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

I love how you don't let the car warm up before you rev the crap out of it. It sounds freaking sweet though. What's up with the SES light?
Old 04-13-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

to bad i like it but i cant have a car that loud..., what power u putting down with that asa cam, i love the idle how hard was it to get to idle with that 110lsa
Old 04-13-2006, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
I love how you don't let the car warm up before you rev the crap out of it. It sounds freaking sweet though. What's up with the SES light?
I love how you just jump to conclusions and assume the car is cold. I had been out driving for 45 mins before I took that vid. Oil temp was 190 degrees, water temp was 180.
SES light is on because I'm tuning the car in speed density mode (no MAF sensor) so I have the MAF turned off which throws an SES light.

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
to bad i like it but i cant have a car that loud..., what power u putting down with that asa cam, i love the idle how hard was it to get to idle with that 110lsa
I haven't dynoed the car or taken it to the track yet. I'm hoping to hit test & tune at HPT next friday. I'll post times if I make it out. I still need an ls6 intake, but my guess is around 370/370 as it sits now. Tuning the idle wasn't extremely difficult, but took some serious time. The idle in the vid is set to 700rpm.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

I was just looking at the temp gauge on your console..it wasn't far above the first degree mark...mine always runs just under the 210 mark. No biggie.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
I was just looking at the temp gauge on your console..it wasn't far above the first degree mark...mine always runs just under the 210 mark. No biggie.
HE'S GOT A 98!!!! theyre the only car that got a working temp gauge. Normal operating temp is just over the 1/4 mark.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Wow sounds great,I have a hooker cat back with stock manifolds and y pipe.I wish I could could get that high pitched raspy sound like yours.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

"it just seems to me cars with aluminum blocks have higher-pitched, racy sound while cast iron blocks have deeper, guttsier sound"

I'm no expert...I can only comment on what I've actually heard, and I have to agree with the above comment. I've owned, modded, driven, & raced both LT1 & LS1 F-Bodies. I firmly believe that the LS1 is MUCH pickier about exhaust component choices than the LT1, if you're after that rrrrrumble sound.

You could slap a system on an LT1 made out of empty creamed corn cans welded together, and it would still sound good. The selection of components for the LS1 is not only trickier, but is much more limited if you're looking for that nice, deep rumble.

There are just 2 long-tube/cat-back combinations I've heard that had that nice rumble. Both had Kooks headers, but one had a stainless Magnaflow cat-back, and the other one had a Spin-Tech. As high a quality piece as they are, to my ear, nothing sounds more "crackly" or "raspy" than a Borla on an LS1. That's my experience, anyway.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

yeah i agree, i dont mind the high pitched sound that makes it sound like a racecar with BITE! similar to cobras also i think, but its just that blappy noise and **** thats sound horrble i dunno maybe its just me but my friends alllove my flowmaster sound and think im crazy for wanting soething diffrent.

Quick Reply: What causes rasp!