Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of headers

I am looking into a set of victor series edelbrock l/t headers, but all the header threads that i go to never have anything about edelbrock headers. Is there something wrong with them on a ls1 or what? Everybody seems to have pacesetters, hooker, slp, or kooks. Why?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They're made out of mild steel. Most people want stainless. Look into QTP's with the merge collector.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also look into hedman hedders. I had no problems bolting these up, didn't have to drop the starter or anything crazy like that only thing was had to beat in the floor pan on the driver side to get the header into place. Also the Y-pipe is an ory. It says in jeggs that u can use it with cats, but i don't see that happening. Also they sound freakin awesome!!!! I would look into these, you can get painted or ceramic coated at a good price!!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's simply because the edelbrock headers are relatively new on the ls1 scene, so there aren't alot of folks that used them.
There are a couple of threads about the edelbrock, and they seem to be on a par with pacesetters, as far as fit, and price
Old 04-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

But what headers produce the most power for ur dolllar???
Old 04-16-2006, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

Thats a good question.
Thing is im sure they all produce around the same power give or take 5-10 hp maybe more. The other thing is do you want to buy headers once or replace them in a few years because they are too rusty and dont like the look. Brands like QTP, Kooks, SS are stainless steel but twice the cost of many othr brands but will last and flow better than the other brands. If you live in an area that doesnt snow rain alot etc... Than a set of coated headers would be a good buy, But for guys like me where i drive alot at the beach and the salt air and drives the car in the rain alot not kept in a garage in the winter than a set of stainless works best for me. I prob just confused the sh@# out of people but it makes sense to me.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1slowls1
Thats a good question.
Thing is im sure they all produce around the same power give or take 5-10 hp maybe more. The other thing is do you want to buy headers once or replace them in a few years because they are too rusty and dont like the look. Brands like QTP, Kooks, SS are stainless steel but twice the cost of many othr brands but will last and flow better than the other brands. If you live in an area that doesnt snow rain alot etc... Than a set of coated headers would be a good buy, But for guys like me where i drive alot at the beach and the salt air and drives the car in the rain alot not kept in a garage in the winter than a set of stainless works best for me. I prob just confused the sh@# out of people but it makes sense to me.
what advantages does stainless have over ceramic coated?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Its been said a thousand times before, but here it is again. All LTs produce about the same PEAK HP. But when you want the best bang for the buck, that would have to go to the Pacesetters. They can be had for around $400 coated and are very good quality. TSP sells them with an ORY for $500. And with a catted y for $700. Its a great "budget header". If you have the money, the only other choices IMO would be QTP, Kooks or stainlesss works. They are all stainless steel. Especially the QTPs with the HVMC because they'll produce more power under the curve than the others and have a new price of $724.99. The downside is, if you go QTP be prepared to wait a while. Good luck with whatever you choose.

EDIT : LOL you beat me to it 1slowls1
Old 04-16-2006, 10:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Newbiewar
what advantages does stainless have over ceramic coated?

Stainless steel will last longer than coated and wont rust out. It also holds heat in better than coated, which will help with flow. Its pretty much go stainless steel and don't look back, put them on and be done with it.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28LS1KID
Stainless steel will last longer than coated and wont rust out. Holds heat in better than coated, which will help with flow.
but i though coated was better for the overall engine bay to reduce temp...
Old 04-16-2006, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

Try the search and see if you can find the post someone put up about stainless steel vs coated tests. I'm pretty positive that the results came back that the stainless steel held the heat in better than the coated mild steel headers which resulted in lower engine bay temps and better flow. Maybe someone else will chime in.

EDIT: This isnt the same tests that was posted up on this site, but this gets to the point : http://performanceweldingheaders.com/svsm.htm
Old 04-17-2006, 01:14 AM
12 Second Club

stainless to me seems worth the extra $$$ i paid 724.99 for my QTP's Theyve been proven to make power, they flow great and i dont have to worry about them rusting. Ceramic i prob would have gone with a set of ps's but i came into some more money and bought QTP's, it just seems like the better buy to me.
stainless advantages, dont rust.
Ceramic advantages, they look good for a while.

stainless disadvantages ??? maybe heat discoloration "rainbow"
ceramic disadvantages rust