Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bbk Vs. F.a.s.t.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bbk Vs. F.a.s.t.

Im going to change my manifold and just wanted to know which one is better
F.A.S.T. or BBK or even Weiand?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

FAST 90mm
Old 04-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the FAST 90/90 will be the ticket, as it's composite. The alumnumnum Weiand and BBK intakes will hold heat in a lot worse, making for less dense of a charge, meaning less power production.

By the way, how far you going with your car? If nothing over 400 whp, you may be better off with an LS6 intake if your car's an '00 or older.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Teching In

my goal is to hit about 700+hp's
Old 04-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, go with the 90/90
Old 04-17-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

another vote for the 90/90
Old 04-17-2006, 06:09 PM

FAST. AS stated above the BBK & Weiand heat soak.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car will get heat soak w/ the aluminum and it wont work, aluminum manifolds have never worked. /sarcasm

Unless you are road racing don't worry about heat soak (if it would even matter), the air on the inside will still be cool air as it does not have time to heat up much anyhow (once you are moving), inside the compression chamber would be hot no matter what manifold you have (where it REALLY counts). The heat will dissapate off the exterior of the manifold anyway. Sure expect losses on back to back dyno pulls, but if your running someone on the street or at the strip, plop a bag of ice on it and let it cool.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

guess all these heat soak junkies have never felt their composit manifold after a good hard run.

The fast90 still appears to be the best option today
Old 04-29-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zentenk
Your car will get heat soak w/ the aluminum and it wont work, aluminum manifolds have never worked. /sarcasm

Unless you are road racing don't worry about heat soak (if it would even matter), the air on the inside will still be cool air as it does not have time to heat up much anyhow (once you are moving), inside the compression chamber would be hot no matter what manifold you have (where it REALLY counts). The heat will dissapate off the exterior of the manifold anyway. Sure expect losses on back to back dyno pulls, but if your running someone on the street or at the strip, plop a bag of ice on it and let it cool.
For many of us these cars are our daily drivers, aluminum intakes are pretty bad for anything driven on the street because in stop and go traffic, or slow speeds, or even at any ol' stop light the aluminum intake heat soaks a lot and not only does that mean less power and it means a much shorter engine life.

I'd go with the Fast 90 mm intake if you plan to drive it around town at all, and Nick Williams 90 mmm throttle body. It's the top of the line and if you're shotting for 700rwhp you'll want the best parts.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is that why Fords break down all the time?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:10 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by mpe488
For many of us these cars are our daily drivers, aluminum intakes are pretty bad for anything driven on the street because in stop and go traffic, or slow speeds, or even at any ol' stop light the aluminum intake heat soaks a lot and not only does that mean less power and it means a much shorter engine life.

I'd go with the Fast 90 mm intake if you plan to drive it around town at all, and Nick Williams 90 mmm throttle body. It's the top of the line and if you're shotting for 700rwhp you'll want the best parts.

FAST all the way.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Teching In

I think everyone is taking this heatsoak idea too far. First of all, both intakes will get to equilibrium with the engine (I.E. each will get as hot as the other, the composite intake will just take longer). The advantage is that the composite intake has a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity, which is why it feels cooler as it takes longer for the heat from the intake to transfer to your skin. This improved coefficient keeps the intake charge cooler, and thus gains a marginal increase in power with all other things being equal. Although pure drag racers could use the higher coefficient to their advantage by strapping ice bags to the manifold while they make a run, actually cooling the air off as it passes through the intake. Now, while the composite intake does keep the intake charge cooler and gives more HP than a non-iced metal intake, I don’t believe that it significantly prolongs engine life. All manner of cars and trunks have used metal intakes for years (up until the last 10 years really) and many have lasted longer than most of us have ever owned a car. I think those of us with significant modifications should be much more worried about having an adequate cooling system than what material our intake is made out of… All that said, I would get the FAST, but I’m a road racer who needs to save every pound possible.
Dan

Search this Thread