Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if i use top end cleaner or seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default if i use top end cleaner or seafoam?

If i use top end cleaner or seafoam and spray it in the thottle body and then turn the car off and let it set are you sure it will start back. I want to use the aresol spray. whats the proper way to spray it in the tb revving or idle and let it suck it up. Can that stuff hydro lock the engine. will the car run with the maf detached from the tb. n how long should i let it set minimum time. thanks.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: if i use top end cleaner or seafoam?

Yes, it wil start back up. My car runs fin without the MAF hooked-up others do not. You will need to rev it to keep it going, which is why I use SeaFoam, it sucks almost all of it up in like 3 seconds beofre themotor even has time to bog. Aeresol takes to long. Let it sit overnight!! DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE OIL AFTERWARD!!!
Old 09-26-2002, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the GM aerosol top engine cleaner and just sprayed it into the throttle boddy. Make sure you disconnect the MAF or it will not idle. It didnt start up immediately but after it turned over a few times it fired up and smoked a lot. As everyone says, get the oil changed after. I couldnt do it immediately and had to wait a week (about 40 miles). I noticed no performance gain until after I changed the oil... I dont know why. The gain was slight but was there, but you may feel nothing depending on how gummed up your chambers and ports are. Good Luck!
Old 09-27-2002, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks I plan on doing it this weekend so its ok to lets it set over night what about a few hours will that help any. Do you mean unplug the maf or just take it off ith the lid thanks.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used the liquid form of seafoam and poured it in through the brake booster hose. I just disconnected the brake booster hose at the brake booster and attached a ribbed oil funnel to it. Poured the sea foam into the funnel slowly until the entire can was in and then shut the car off.

I let it sit for a couple hours while I washed the car and then fired it up. No problems. Car smoked like a chimney for about 20 minutes and then quit.

I changed my oil and my synthetic was a dark black (usually only a mild brown) so I know I got some junk out.

I'd say it helped a little. It was noticeably smoother at idle and a little bit more responsive. Nothing major, but what do you expect for $6?

-Russ

Quick Reply: if i use top end cleaner or seafoam?