Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power will a dirty air filter rob ?

Old 04-20-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How much power will a dirty air filter rob ?

Just curious, my car has been feeling like a dog lately so I checked out the air filter. Sure enough it was filthy. I rarely skimp on routine maintenance but somehow this one got past me.

Its a K&N so I bought the "Filter Recharger kit" and cleaned that sucker. Now the car feels alive again!! I just didn't expect it to make such a dramatic difference, so how much power can a dirty air filter (LIKE REALLY REALLY DIRTY) rob you??
Old 04-20-2006, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Cotton weave filters like k&N's are reknown for this. When they are clean they will outflow a stock OEM paper filter, however a paper filter can flow sufficently for 500bhp n/a. However a cotton weave filter will clog up sooner and end up flowing far worse than a paper one.

Another nice advantage of paper is even when dirty they still flow at an efficent rate.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&N filters suck *****. The yield no power gains and the oil from them can screw up your MAF, and then it just adds to the oil in your intake, like the PCV doesnt get enough in there already. Stick with a paper filter.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how much power, but I do know that after I cleaned mine I got 3-4 mpg better.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
I don't know how much power, but I do know that after I cleaned mine I got 3-4 mpg better.
same here. I keep a paper filter on the shelf in my garage.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brad8266
.......and the oil from them can screw up your MAF......
only when used INCORRECTLY..the Hp gains are on par with anyother aftermarket lid....they just look cooler
Old 04-20-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BitViper
only when used INCORRECTLY..the Hp gains are on par with anyother aftermarket lid....they just look cooler
a k&n filter isn't a lid it's a filter and HP gains gains are somewhere between zero and nothing.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

BitViper has one of their kits (FIPK) which would be comparable to a lid. But people with lids or airboxes can put in a K&N/Paper filter.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Launching!

I use a K&N filter and never had a problem. I did think this was cool. I read a book done by Hot Rod where they compared a 2002 WS6 with a paper filter and then with no filter at all. On the dyno the results was a 3 HP difference. I just thought I would share that info with you all. K&N only jacks up the MAF when it is soaked with too much oil.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Holley here with no problems. Some people just don't know how to oil a filter for ****!
Old 04-27-2006, 04:14 PM
That's what she said...

K&N filters work great if you don't hose 'em too much with oil, and keep them clean.

It helps if you wash it out in such a way that it forces the dirt back out the way it came in. Then when re-oiling, only spray oil on the atmosphere side of the filter (faces the radiator when installed). The oil will get stuck in the fibers where it should be and not pull all the way through.

If I ever get a black lid instead of this clear one, I might switch over to the papers and give them a try. The white filter doesn't look as nice as my K&N under there with my red engine bay.

Speaking of, my K&N is filthy right now. I'll wash her out this weekend and post up if I feel any lost power come back. I have the SSRA, so mine gets dirty especially fast, I'd go broke buying paper filters.

Edit - Note to self: Keep the date in mind while searching Luna's threads.

I'm afraid I have to use this on myself, even though it's not too too bad......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much power will a dirty air filter rob ?